Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting opinions here. What size bags for fall Steelies? I know water conditions play a roll. But what's a good round about size to run. Fish the PM mostly with the occasional trip to the Betsie. Also fish the Ausable quite a bit. We do catch our fair share of fish, getting ready to tie some up so any input is appreciated. Tight lines all!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Speaking in terms of King eggs, 4 eggs is the majority for me, dirtier the bigger. Tops about quarter sized. Never seen an improvement larger than that personally. At least not an improvement large enough to make me want to use that many eggs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What Adam said. I normally use dime to penny size bags, and rarely use the quarter size bags. On occasion will tie 3-4 egg bags, but not that often. I think the bag color is also important, and depends on the river conditions, most used colors are peach and chartreuse for me, with some in red, and white.

D

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Had lines out in Mid September two rods had quarter sized bags a 13 lb steelhead actually grabbed the bags on two poles and swallowed both bags. Most of my bags are at least dime size or larger. Even the smaller steelhead will hit a good size bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Adam said. I normally use dime to penny size bags, and rarely use the quarter size bags. On occasion will tie 3-4 egg bags, but not that often. I think the bag color is also important, and depends on the river conditions, most used colors are peach and chartreuse for me, with some in red, and white.

D
Have found color to be a big factor also. Funny how that works, personally don't do very well with the colors mentioned.lol! Pink and orange for us. Even in the fall with the smaller bags? Maybe that's our problem this time of year, we've always used bigger. Always in the winter with the smaller bags though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Color is very important. I personally run peach, chartruese, pink, white, blue. Different conditions call for different colors.... I wouldn't say fall fish prefer dime size, and going bigger is not a reason for not doing well. My opinion, fall fish, if they want it, and can see it, they will take it. Why waste the eggs with larger bags if you can get bit on smaller bags? Just my opinion and observations.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good point. Two weeks ago actually had one grab my bag reeling it in then it proceeded to jump 6' out of the water about 5' from where I was standing. Pretty cool!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts