Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here. And just purchased 80 acres. Trying food plots here for the 1st time. I've planted soybeans the last 2 yrs on my previous lease and the deer eat them gone as fast as they come up. I still have a bag of seed left
and was wondering if I added turnips or rape too my mix, would that save the beans from over browsing and also give me a late season food also at the same time. thanks for your advise!

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Hi I'm new here. And just purchased 80 acres. Trying food plots here for the 1st time. I've planted soybeans the last 2 yrs on my previous lease and the deer eat them gone as fast as they come up. I still have a bag of seed left
and was wondering if I added turnips or rape too my mix, would that save the beans from over browsing and also give me a late season food also at the same time. thanks for your advise!
I would use something other than brassicas. In reality if you can't grow beans to maturity you have too many deer or your plots are too small. Try protecting them with some sort of plot saver.
A good spring summer mix would be better than brassicas to lessen the bean browsing IMO.
If I can't get beans to mature o wont waste my time on them.but you can incorperate them into your fall plantings as an early season draw. Deer will hammer beans when they are young. Brassicas are a great late season draw and much easier to get desired results than it is with beans, especially on small plots under 3 acres in high deer densities.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when should I plant? "late August". And that's what I was hoping for, beans for early season bow and something else for gun season. But all planted at the same time to help protect the beans early on. Remember beans are already bought so I might as well use them up some how.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
So when should I plant? "late August". And that's what I was hoping for, beans for early season bow and something else for gun season. But all planted at the same time to help protect the beans early on. Remember beans are already bought so I might as well use them up some how.
I plant all my plots around August 4th. Most guys plant their clovers and cereal grains around labor day. I would try to plant earlier than labor day if you are using beans in your mix

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would plant a mix of beans/rye/oats/radishes or purple top turnips around the first two weeks of August. Remember that you have to put the beans/oats/rye in the ground at 1" deep. The radishes or turnips only are 1/4" deep. So you would have to broadcast and then disc in or plant the beans mix. After that broadcast and culipack the radishes or turnips in for the best results. The turnips would provide a late season food source along with the rye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a good plan, I'll wait and plant in August. thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts