Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most directions re planting seed on MS offer tips re tilling, liming, fertilizers, spreading or drilling the seed, packing or dragging, etc etc. And then the final tidbit is usually, and then "Pray for Rain".;)

Today was a golden opportunity to bypass the prayer part. I had 200# of winter wheat and rye to get in the ground for our fall plots. . And today was the day, if there ever was one. When I got to the gate at 7:30, it was starting to drizzle. And soon thereafter it started to really rain and kept it up for hours. The fertilizer spreader got wet and gummy and so did the seed spreader. And despite good rain gear, I got wet around the edges too. But it was worth it, in spades.:cool:

After a pretty long dry stretch in July and August, that rain thumping down was music to my ears on planting day. Those plots will be all green within the week.:D

NB

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I agree with that, after reading all the posts here daily, and learning everything I know to date, there seems to be one common denominator. You have to have rain to get it to grow. I have also planted right before or during a rain and had great results everytime so far.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wasn't able to plant this weekend due to the endless rain. But the plots that are in the ground should be excellent. I have had to many bad experiences with farming in this type of weather. Like you said the spreader is always plugged up and the tractor is always stuck. But i'm glad you were able to get your plots in. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
yep had the same thing slow drizzle and and then a endless rain for hours
we got two plots in the rain made it very interesting trying not to get the tractor stuck and getting the seed to the ground all went good until the end when my truck got buried trying to turn around i thought i was on solid ground but when the grass gave way to a unearthly muck it swallowed the hole front of my truck!:yikes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts