Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw plenty of steelies around mouth of creek, but was not able to get them to bite, any have any pattern or techniques that will turn them on?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Are you sure they were steelies and not salmon? Not trying to offend you but some rivers (especially at the mouth) will have silver kings that will look a lot like a steelie.
I'm sure you already tried everyting I could offer as far as flies but did you try a waxworm? Steelies love waxworms!!!
Where was that river again?? :)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Jeff, I know the creek your talking about. I would be fairly certain that they were indeed steelhead. I'm sure you know that as well. You must remember, the fish that hold up in that particular location are under a great deal of stress. Thats the only reason they are there. If the river temp was right and they weren't so tired from the angler pressure and making their way up that ladder they would be somewhere else. I think you would do better at another location. Someplace the fish are more comfortable. E-mail me, [email protected] maybe I can help. I'll give it my best shot anyways!

Ps. I'm going to be gone tommorow 8-27, wont be home til late.

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone's follow-up. I think the fish are there but just the conditions aren't right yet.
Hope the condition will improve soon.

By the way, did manage to land a fresh steelie on Sunday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts