Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear this spring lex and sanilac did well on cohos would like to get on the action this year how early do you guys start and wat kind of setups browns are pretty elusive but does anybody target them what about the harbor beach fishery any info appreciated thanks

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
theres still some big browns out there. we find some up in the outer bay way down on the bottom. actualy have caught more browns then coho's but we were fishing for walleye which really makes it weird.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ice out guys are out, here is some from april 12, 2008 - http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231215

April 28, 2008 - http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233240

Most guys use stickbaits run 50-150 ft back off planer boards in less than 25 FOW.

The cohos for the most part used to be an every other year type thing, with the odd numbered years producing more coho. Last year was the best even numbered coho run I think I have seen. Our Michigan DNR feels that these coho are natural reproduced fish from Manitoulin Island, the Island that divided lake huron and georgian bay.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I third that. Coho's were very nice last year. Kings were few but good size. LT's fat as ever. But a brown.... whats that?

Ben

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
The weird part about coho's is, where do they go after the spring? We've always done well real early on these little guys too. It'd seem that if they're that plentiful, you'd catch them all year, but I don't know a lot about coho's, ....................or anything for that matter. :) But you never hear of anyone getting them much after mid-may. DO they go way out deep, or to the east side of Lake Huron?

·
Registered
307 Posts
They planted 10,000 browns in sanilac and 18,000 steelies in lexington last spring so we will catch a few browns this spring and they are catching the steelies thru the ice in lexington this winter.They are around 15-17 inches.As soon as the ice is gone we will be out .

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The weird part about coho's is, where do they go after the spring? We've always done well real early on these little guys too. It'd seem that if they're that plentiful, you'd catch them all year, but I don't know a lot about coho's, ....................or anything for that matter. :) But you never hear of anyone getting them much after mid-may. DO they go way out deep, or to the east side of Lake Huron?
The Lake Michigan Coho disappear too. They show up in the south portion of Lake Michigan. Then they disappear for a while. Then they start to show up again late summer in the North.

I think the spend June/July offshore, and then they show up at their spawning grounds later in the year.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
We got a few of those ho's in late June last year off Grindstone. They were out over deep water and on the surface chowing on bugs with the steelies. They were pushing the 4-5# mark by then and full of black goo.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Coho's and Steelhead were best they have been since 70's 0r 80's. North PI and RC but only can guess they came from Canada or around from Lake Michigan (Cohos I'm talking about). Packed with bait and very healthy and going 4 to 8 lbs and some bigger with eggs and milt in them not develped yet looks like they would be spawing in Nov-Jan. Somewhere.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Coho's and Steelhead were best they have been since 70's 0r 80's. North PI and RC but only can guess they came from Canada or around from Lake Michigan (Cohos I'm talking about). Packed with bait and very healthy and going 4 to 8 lbs and some bigger with eggs and milt in them not develped yet looks like they would be spawing in Nov-Jan. Somewhere.
Yep, we caught some nice coho's out of P.I last august too. Hopefully its a step in the right direction.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Coho's are more of a migratory fish than Kings. They move alot. Browns in Lk Huron...... they are there. I used to catch them when I was there and my buddies that are still floating over in Huron are targeting them with great sucess.

When to start fishing? I was in the water last week of march/ 1st of April when I did Lexington.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well I can't really tell you about the coho, as we didn't catch any the day we went out. However, I can tell you that we were ziggin and zaggin our way from 30fow to 40fow and had a field day catching lakers all day long, the date was may 4th of last year. Reports from the day before said they couldn't keep the coho off the line, we just couldn't find any coho, maybe this year....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts