Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading out this weekend how about anybody else. I have never fished this late in the year before. Where would you start looking?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I don't think I'd stray too far from harbors and streams... The water has been rough for awhile now, so it's tough to say where the fish might?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Don't bother yet in my opinion.
I Was out Tuesday lots of marks no takers.
The water seems too warm still 62 or so pretty much everywhere. Typically we never do well until November.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very nice! Great to hear that there are some fish running around out there again. I use to fish that area all time from the piers.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I would really like to get out of Sanilac on Saturday but I have responsibilities that will not allow for it. Being a paddler wind dictates when I can go out and Saturday looks favorable. As for late season, I was out last October 25th and connected with one, my partner had two that came unzipped that same day. We had hoped to make it out again, but never had a free weekend with cooperative winds. Before we were finished loading the only boat that launched that day was also blown off the lake. He had done better than us as he boxed his three (if I recall correctly). What I do remember is that it was a cloudy, windy, day. He told us Flounder Pounder was his hot color. I hope I didn't break a trust, but I filed that one away for cloudy, windy, late season days.
It seems that Sanilac is the popular port, and I really don't know Lake Huron migration patterns. Is Port Sanilac the center of steelhead activity? Does Harbor Beach favor lake trout which are closed? What about Lexington? If anybody with more experience replies I will certainly appreciate that.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Bob, Harbor Beach rock wall this time of year can be a massive cloud of lake trout madness. I would judge HB is laker central. As far as the other ports it does seem like PS (for the steel) is very popular doesn't it?
I remember that guy you referenced coming in with a massively fat steelhead. He thought it was a king.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Let us know how it goes.
You could be the first person in a while to get them snapping again.
Well they were not snapping today. Fished 40 fow out to 100 fow. Started south and trolled north with 3 knock offs....no one home. Marked a ton of bait balls and fish all day. Just could not get them going. Beautiful day on the water! I think I'm done for the season. Great year overall for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts