Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve been up there the last two years in late June when the weeds are up. We did ok with crawler harnesses and a lot better last year with cranks.

this year we are going earlier in lat may/early June when the weeds aren’t up yet. I’m looking for tips on where to fish and how. Does anyone jig that time of year or should we still troll? We would mostly target good eating fish like walleye, perch, and crappies. Any info would be great cause I feel without the weeds this will be a different but probably better experience.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
We’ve been up there the last two years in late June when the weeds are up. We did ok with crawler harnesses and a lot better last year with cranks.

this year we are going earlier in lat may/early June when the weeds aren’t up yet. I’m looking for tips on where to fish and how. Does anyone jig that time of year or should we still troll? We would mostly target good eating fish like walleye, perch, and crappies. Any info would be great cause I feel without the weeds this will be a different but probably better experience.
anywhere in the u.p. is weather related..until we see the kind of winter/spring we have its a crapshoot.. and with walleye/pike season not open til may 15th..you have to keep your eye out for latest reports if you are planning a late may excursion.. i have been out for the opener several times when i thought..."gee the gales of november came early"....but south mani changes very little..i imagine do to its shallow nature... trolling is as good as any..keep the baits small in the spring and the presentation slooooooooooow

Reactions: Zkovach1175

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have lived on/fished this lake since I was a young lad back in the mid 1950's. For walleyes and pike the most productive method for me has always been a live minnow under a bobber. I like to keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This time of year are the walleye shallow or deep? I got a bass pro card for Xmas burning a hole in my pocket

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have lived on/fished this lake since I was a young lad back in the mid 1950's. For walleyes and pike the most productive method for me has always been a live minnow under a bobber. I like to keep it simple.
I’ve seen a lot of folks fish that way up there. I typically like to troll and cover water. Any idea where the walleye are that time of year? Shallow or deep? We mostly try around the island. Have noticed fish by the north end but never caught one up there.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
anywhere in the u.p. is weather related..until we see the kind of winter/spring we have its a crapshoot.. and with walleye/pike season not open til may 15th..you have to keep your eye out for latest reports if you are planning a late may excursion.. i have been out for the opener several times when i thought..."gee the gales of november came early"....but south mani changes very little..i imagine do to its shallow nature... trolling is as good as any..keep the baits small in the spring and the presentation slooooooooooow
Last time I fished South Man, the pike season was open before May 15th I believe. We always made it up before the walleye opener and pike were legal to catch. I know the size limit was lifted to reduce alot of the hammer handles so maybe the season dates were as well. Regardless, walleyes do love minnows under a bobber more in that lake than most I fish in the UP. I like jigs and gulp minnows and they did work ok but not nearly like minnows under a float. The guys all around us caught 4 to our 1 using minnows while we casted jigs, lipless cranks and other artificials. South Man just started disappointing me to the point I found a much better walleye factory lake in the UP. Been there ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts