Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Went out yesterday in the Lapeer Area only 3 inches of ice on a deep lake but managed to pull up a nice mess of 7 to 8 inch bluegill. View attachment 809816
Nice mess o' Gills there Ol Goat! Looks like u get the prize for best early outing in SE MI (at least as far as this forum is concerned)! Gives me hope. Gonna hit some lakes in Brighton/Howell area next week. Wouldn't mind bringing home a catch like that! Thx for the report!

Reactions: NEW HUDSON WALT

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I do positively believe I recognize the location, nice to see some ice there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went lake hopping today and fished a couple of the smaller lakes in Ortonville Rec area(not Big Fish or Davison), found 3-5 inches of ice mostly. Finished the day by Burt Lake in Holly and same thing 4ish inches. The deeper parts of the lake the ice is still pretty thin in areas. I drilled a couple holes that were 3in at best. Good luck and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I fished northern Oakland county and southern Lapeer this weekend, both lakes had 3 to 5 inches of rock solid clear ice. With the temps this week I think were gonna be good to go from here on out.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I checked my go too wayne county lake yesterday spud went threw in 2 hits going to wait till this weekend for that one. So everyone be careful every lake is different

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
40th street pond in port Huron had a shanty on it this morning. Had good luck on decent pike there last year. Supposedly they’re stocking it with trout over the summer but I’ve never heard of one ever being caught through the ice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree! What are the dimensions? Is that steel?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
5'x5', it's aluminum from the shell of an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Pretty lightweight. I get it out over 3" of ice every year without worry. Originally built as a spearing shanty. 2'6"x5' spear hole, but my lake has pretty poor visibility. Neighboring lake to me is crystal clear so it hops back and forth during each ice season.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts