Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I hear ya, I'm two miles away and do the same thing. I just tell my wife "hey I don't do the Amazon thing like you" and that puts an end to any gripes about the money I spend in there.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Checked my pond in southern Monroe County and found 2 1/2 to just under 3" an hour ago. Beautiful solid clear ice. It had open water Sunday.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I seen 4 or 5 guys fishing the lake across from the airport in coldwater yesterday. They all looked to be pretty close to shore, not sure on ice thickness. I want to get out tomorrow and if I do I'll post on ice thickness.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Buddy checked his small lake in Ortonville just now. Started off ok with 4-5 but said as he got closer to where deeper water his spud was drawing some water. Tonight will help for sure but safe side looks like no go tomorrow. Tied up Sunday w fam stuff so looks like I’ll be watching fishing on YouTube and a wishing I wuz fishin

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’m way out in a big lake in southern Oakland just under 4 everywhere i spudded and have been fishin

·
Registered
100 Posts
I checked Bush lake and big seven in Holly today 2-3 at best near the launches. I'm planning on waiting a week. There were a couple of shanties on big seven.

Sky Water resources Snow Cloud Natural landscape

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
checked a small bald mtn lake this afternoon....4 plus rock solid.....headed out tomorrow morning.....couple sets of sled tracks headed to a back basin and a small shanty spot but no one fishing.....guessing 4 to 6 by morning....hoping for bluegills in 20ft.....they were there last year 7-8 inchers

·
Registered
20 Posts
D-Rock Im curious if you got a chance to check the Davison / Goodrich area? Im planning on getting out in this area Saturday or Sunday. Night time temps are looking good....
Didnt get to that area, but Lake Fenton had 4in of solid clear ice yesterday around the ramp. I'd imagine its only getting better. Big Fish had about 3in early this week. Had a few friends go out and most have said the same thing, anywhere from 3-5in on most lakes around here, 4-6in on shallower lakes. As always, be careful and spud out but I think it's pretty much go time unless the lake is very deep.

The ice is really good right now also, not much snow and the first few nights most the lakes froze was very cold and calm. The ice is clear and solid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buddy checked his small lake in Ortonville just now. Started off ok with 4-5 but said as he got closer to where deeper water his spud was drawing some water. Tonight will help for sure but safe side looks like no go tomorrow. Tied up Sunday w fam stuff so looks like I’ll be watching fishing on YouTube and a wishing I wuz fishin

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I live in Ortonville also, just moved here from FL last year and pretty new to this ice thing but have been fishing all my life. I have all my own gear and looking to meet up with some people and fish. If you ever need another tag along I'd be down. I've fished most the lakes around Ortonville and Holly and did ok last year. Be safe and catch em up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I checked Bush lake and big seven in Holly today 2-3 at best near the launches. I'm planning on waiting a week. There were a couple of shanties on big seven.

View attachment 809510
Nice picture. Caught some really nice bass this year on my kayak at Big Seven. It is a pretty deep lake throughout the middle area so I could see it being a little behind some of the shallower lakes on ice thickness.

237 Posts
checked a small bald mtn lake this afternoon....4 plus rock solid.....headed out tomorrow morning.....couple sets of sled tracks headed to a back basin and a small shanty spot but no one fishing.....guessing 4 to 6 by morning....hoping for bluegills in 20ft.....they were there last year 7-8 inchers
Heading out that way too tomorrow. Rather not battle it out for a spot on shotty ice on a canal. Hope to find some gills and crappie. Will try and check a couple other surrounding lakes. Will report lake thickness.

237 Posts
Heading out that way too tomorrow. Rather not battle it out for a spot on shotty ice on a canal. Hope to find some gills and crappie. Will try and check a couple other surrounding lakes. Will report lake thickness.
Was out on a few surrounding lakes. Some warm water pockets that made some slushy areas. Be sure to spud, found some 1-2inches that wasn’t slush. Most of the lakes were 4-5inches. Didn’t check lake Orion though…curious how that is by the boat launch.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Kent Lake has 5-6”. The water clarity was very turbulent; visibility 3-4 ft. Light snow cover. Ice creepers will make travel much easier and safer. Tight lines!

21 - 40 of 92 Posts