Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I was out in the Union Lake area today so I checked out a couple lakes.

I have private access on the NE side of Union. Lake was almost totally frozen over on this side of the lake minus a small open area in the middle that had geese/swans in it. I drove by the public access and that looked like skim ice.

Road surface Bedrock Organism Water Wood

Took a drive to long lake and it looked froze over but you could tell the stuff in the middle was new ice. I could see where someone spudded out a little ways.

Sky Cloud Water Water resources Tree

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks Radar! I can't get out until next Wed the 12th so hoping there will be a good number of choices where to fish by then. I'm from MI originally and always fish MI for hard water season so very familiar with all the lakes in SE MI. Now, being 60-90 mins away from most of my fav spots the intel I hear from you guys on ice conditions is very helpful to know if I will be able to get on the ice after driving for an hour+. Thanks again guys!!

·
Premium Member
6,944 Posts
I was out in the Union Lake area today so I checked out a couple lakes.

I have private access on the NE side of Union. Lake was almost totally frozen over on this side of the lake minus a small open area in the middle that had geese/swans in it. I drove by the public access and that looked like skim ice.

View attachment 808872

Took a drive to long lake and it looked froze over but you could tell the stuff in the middle was new ice. I could see where someone spudded out a little ways.

View attachment 808873
Really cool pic of standing on that clear ice

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
my base lakes are Shinagaug, fenton, Mithchell in Holly. and I hope they are getting close, we are going to check some this fri. with hopes of "walking" sunday

·
Registered
287 Posts
Going to check some lakes in the Goodrich/Davison area tomorrow. I'm thinking there might be about 3in or so on some of the smaller lakes by now. With some luck, I'll have a line down tomorrow
D-Rock, let us know what you find - charting the Ortonville area myself too to see where we end up at by Sat/Sun. With the 3 day outlook i project 5-6 by then .....i think...

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Was told there is some skim (and maybe thicker) in the Irish Hills area in the shallow bays and such. It's almost go time boys!

·
Registered
100 Posts
my base lakes are Shinagaug, fenton, Mithchell in Holly. and I hope they are getting close, we are going to check some this fri. with hopes of "walking" sunday
Ive never fished Mitchell it looks private, Bush, Fenton and Big Seven need to ice up fast please.

·
Registered
335 Posts
D-Rock Im curious if you got a chance to check the Davison / Goodrich area? Im planning on getting out in this area Saturday or Sunday. Night time temps are looking good....

·
Registered
154 Posts
D-Rock Im curious if you got a chance to check the Davison / Goodrich area? Im planning on getting out in this area Saturday or Sunday. Night time temps are looking good....
Tread lightly and spud your way around but should be go time for your typical first ice spots. I’m in the Davison area and checked a handful of places after work last night also stopped in to shoot the breeze with the guys I know at grab bag. General consensus from places I checked and conversation at grab bag is last night was 2-4 inches of ice. I myself will be on ice fishing Saturday morning somewhere in the general area. May or may not be able to go every where yet but will definitely be able to go somewhere. Grab bag had multiple reports of guys on ice fishing for the first time yesterday round here

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks Resinater! I plan on waiting till light and spudding everywhere I go tomorrow morn. I'd like to find at least 4 inches of ice, I'll wait if its sketchy.
I love the Grab Bag and all the guys working there, whether its hunting or fishing I always check there first and if they have it, I get it. Won't look on line to see if I can find cheaper, got to keep them around!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Resinater! I plan on waiting till light and spudding everywhere I go tomorrow morn. I'd like to find at least 4 inches of ice, I'll wait if its sketchy.
I love the Grab Bag and all the guys working there, whether its hunting or fishing I always check there first and if they have it, I get it. Won't look on line to see if I can find cheaper, got to keep them around!
Your very welcome
The ice we do have is rock solid good hard ice I’m sure we put on another inch or more last night
Grab bags guys do a great job it’s both a blessing and a curse that I live a half mile away from them lol guess their getting a chunk of my paycheck tomorrow time to go ice fishing is here now!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Should have a thickness level for forum by this afternoon - buddy checking his hole by his house in Ortonville. Small body of water so i'm thinking at least 4" this afternoon with 5" likely by morning. Will post when find.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts