Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lucky enough to be heading to South Dakota for the pheasant opener this weekend. Just curious, I usually run my dog with a bell on his collar when grouse hunting, is that a no-no when pheasant hunting? I could probably keep track of him without it but we will be hunting some standing corn and it could get easy to lose him in that, especially if the birds are running.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wish I was in your shoes.

Not sure about SD, But here some days bells and beepers make a difference. You can tell by the birds flushing way out from the dogs, :) other days the birds hold for a point. I would think on opening day the bell won't make much difference. I have noticed on windy days the beepers will move birds. All you can do is wait and see.

It is far Better to have and not need than to not have and want

Good luck on your hunt

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I don't use a bell. I don't think you need to push those birds any harder than you have to. They WILL run ahead of you so be sure to have some blockers at the end. Keep moving. Stopping will just increase they distance between you and the birds (most important when in crop fields, not so much in the really thick stuff)

We are leaving Nov 6th. You will love it. World Class Phesant Hunting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree HD. I've learned the hard way to bring everything even if I think I'm not going to use it.

And we will have blockers so I think I'm leaning towards no bell/beeper as well.

Thanks guys.

G

·
0 Posts
I am thinking of gettting one of those Tri-Tronics 65 BPR. From what I understand you can turn the beeper off and on remotely. That way you don't have to hunt with the beeper going all the time. Just when you can't see your dog and want to find him.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We couldn't get a room for the opening weekend so we are leaving on Monday you lucky dog. I don't think a bell is a real problem but human voices and calling you dog sure seems to get the birds moving. I've seen many times birds going up just from getting out of your vehicle and slaming doors. Remember these birds are wild and not like the pen raised ones. It is true the birds are a little more flighty in the wind. good luck and have fun. its a great time in some awsome country. What part of SD are you going to? We will be down by the river near Pickstown.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what a trip! drove all day friday, hunted saturday and sunday and drove back all day monday. And it was worth all the effort. We were in brookings saturday and mitchell on sunday. put up 12 birds on saturday with 8 guys and two dogs, and 32 birds on sunday (half were hens) with four guys and one very tired dog. The poor dog is just torn to pieces but kept on going. Now I know why it's best to have 2 or three dogs. When the corn is harvested the birds are in very thick swales which just tear the dogs up.Plus it was very warm, sunny and high 70's both days.We had a great time and if you go remember to bring a first aid kit. we used it twice on the dog and once on myself. while cleaning birds out in the field my knife slipped out of my hand and it was so sharp it stuck in my leg! we were an hour away from a hospital if we didn't have first aid kit and if it would have hit closer to a main blood vessel I would have been in trouble. As it was we were able to finish out the day and then head into town for stitches. The ER nurse said the most common injury they saw all weekend was guys coming in who had been hit by bird shot. Which made me feel better about my stupid injury.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, didn't need a bell or a beeper. those birds almost never hold and run like crazy so the dog was constantly moving. I think there was one or two solid points all weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts