Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick referrance question...

Is the South Branch of the AuSable the same as "The South Branch Ausable river"? This would be the river that crosses Rollways Rd. And Wickert Rd.

Also, is this river also known as the South Branch River?

· Registered
16,250 Posts
The creek which crossed Rollways Rd is actually the South Branch river. So called because it flows close to the small town of South Branch. It originates as the outflow of Ausable Lake, and flows into the Ausable river, not far from where it goes under Rollways Rd. It has a few Brown and Brook Trout, but none of any real size, and not real plentiful. It is a good place to fish for Chubs and Sucker minnows for bait. You can catch lots of Crayfish right around dark. I have caught a few Pike in it, while fishing for Trout, over the years. It is a cold stream. Lots of Poison Ivy, some Grouse, plenty of Deer, and the occassional Black Bear live around this stream. I have seen a bunch of Massassauga Rattlesnakes near this creek in the 40+ years I have spent time on it.
If you are interested in fishing, and just frogging around, this is a fun creek. If you are interested in catching Trout, it is marginal at best. This is too small a stream to canoe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.