Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even have all my fall plots in yet but I'm already thinking about next year. Do any of you have experience using sorghum as winter carry over? I want something that is high in carbs to compliment our brassica plots, and think we would also benefit from the added cover. We tried corn this year, but the deer never gave it a chance. But we also planted forage sorghum as screening cover around one plot and it came up fantastic (10+ feet). I am just wondering how a whole plot of sorghum would do, what variety is best (should i stick with forage or try a grain variety), and how is it's attraction during hunting season?

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I've grown sorghum twice; tried the grain variety and the forage variety.

Sorghum is a lot easier to establish than corn, less demaning of both moisture and fertilizer. It also provides good cover.

Deer use is iffy, in my opinion. The only evidence of deer use I saw was some chewing on the stalks sometime in March. But I have very fussy deer. Others may get different results.

Turkeys seem to utilize sorghum. In fact, since I consider turkeys to be a varmint, that's one reason why I have no plans to plant sorghum.

Sorghum is a decent companion plot; it provides shading which protects fledgling companion plants.

·
Registered
323 Posts
gun, i use sorghum yearly on my property up north. in that area, my sorghum gets hits pretty well in December and is usually all gone by January. last year i didn't plant much, but did use it as cover corridors and the deer really stayed in or near it during thier travels to and from the rest of my food plots. i have high deer numbers in my area and agree with FL it could be hit or miss depending on your area.

I did mix some brassicas, buckwheat, and beans with my sorghum this year. i have not been up to my property in the last 7 weeks and am dying to get up and see it's progress.

good luck,

scott

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've grown sorghum twice; tried the grain variety and the forage variety.

Sorghum is a lot easier to establish than corn, less demaning of both moisture and fertilizer. It also provides good cover.

Deer use is iffy, in my opinion. The only evidence of deer use I saw was some chewing on the stalks sometime in March. But I have very fussy deer. Others may get different results.

Turkeys seem to utilize sorghum. In fact, since I consider turkeys to be a varmint, that's one reason why I have no plans to plant sorghum.

Sorghum is a decent companion plot; it provides shading which protects fledgling companion plants.

:yeahthat:

Similar experience here (four years worth). Great, fast screening cover. Limited value as deer forage.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you don't have a alot of farming, especially corn in your area then sorghum is very good for both cover and food. Cooper seeds sells a bird resititant strain, it doesnt have the early draw but if you are looking for a Dec-Mar food source it works great. Corn is hard to beat if you have enough or low deer count but they wont touch the bird restitant strand until the Tanin level drops in Dec-Mar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts