Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been troubling me all night and day and I have been replaying the shot over and over in my mind trying to figure out what could have gone wrong.

Here’s what happened. I skipped out of work early yesterday because it was a nice day to be sitting in a tree stand and not here at work. I was in my stand at 4:15pm and no sooner had I gotten settled in when I had 3 does feeding in the woods about 100 yards from me. I sat and watched them for ½ hour working their way to me and at 40 yards one gave me a broad side shot so I took it. She few right in her tracks, but after a minute or so she got up on her front legs and started to crawl through the woods, so I started to load my ML with another round to dispatch her quickly. While I was loading she had traveled another 10 yards and fell again, only to lay there for a few seconds and started all over again traveling another 10 yards and falling. By the time she fell the third time I had finished packing the ball down in the barrel. As I raised the gun to take the second shot she got up and all four legs and took off running and I was never able to get the second shot off. I got out of my stand and started to track her only to find (1) little speck of blood where she had fallen the third time. The area where I had shot her had hair every where but no blood spray. (Which I thought I would have with a pass through shot.) Now I started to follow the tracks that I thought were hers only to find no more blood for 150-200 yards, so I called it quits and called a buddy to give me a hand. My buddy made it to my house and we were back in the woods by 6:00pm with lanterns and we started back at the spot where I had shot her. After tracking the 200 yards to an open field (where I had stopped before.) and not finding any blood we decide to do our searching in the day. On the way back to my house I can across a set of tracks that were traveling in a different direction that we where looking and after following them for a few yards we found a good amount of blood. The blood was bright red and she was dropping blood about the size of a silver dollar every 2-3 yards. We were able to track her back to the open field about 50yards from the first spot that we were looking at. WAIT a minute I think I know why I lost blood!!!!!!! I think she doubled back on me. I think I was on the right track to begin with and when she hit the field she went along the edge of the field those 50 yards and cut back into the woods and that is when she started to bleed. The blood trail that I picked up and followed to the field was heading in the wrong direction that she was traveling. I have to go and make a phone call to my buddy that’s out there right now looking and ask him to check out my theory. Thanks for letting me talk it through.

I’m still not sure what happened with the shot? I’m not sure if I pulled the gun and hit high on her and that’s why she was not using her back legs till she got up the third time and took off running. But with the bright red blood doesn’t that usually mean a lung shot?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Lung shot deer have frothy blood, or blood with bubbles in it. Bright red blood is capillary blood. Sounds like you shot her in the "dead zone" just below the spine, which lead to momentary paralysis, but usually isn't fatal immediately. I will be suprized if you find this deer.

Been there/done that!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was right she doubled back on us and we were able to pick up the trail and follow it across the road and into the neighbor's swamp. They were not home so I could not get permission to keep on the trail. My buddy will be over there this morning getting permission.

We had lost the trail for a few minutes till I noticed some blood on top of a brush pile. She had jumped over this brush pile and we found tracks on the other side with a good blood trail all the way to the road and across.

Steve

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
Steven Arend said:
blood on top of a brush pile. She had jumped over this brush pile and we found tracks on the other side
Hmmm, don't want to rain on your parade, but that doesn't sound too good.

Good job on going the distance and best of luck to you Steve.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Years ago, I hit a buck with a round ball and knocked the buck straight to the ground. He even growned like he was dieing. As I was reloading, he flipped over and got on his feet. I got the gun loaded, but the cap just popped. Once that deer got on his feet, he never stopped. Tracked him (we had snow) all day. He just kept on going. Now I saw the hole in this deers (I was only 15 yards away when I shot) side, right in the dead zone. Paralysed the deer for a couple of minutes and then away he went. A friend asked why I didn't knife it while it was down, I thought it was dead, then it just rolled over and stood up. :(

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Tough call, and I wish you well. It sounds like you definitely hit high below the spine. You can't say for sure how far back you hit though; could be anywhere from the hip to above the chest cavity.
You may have hit low enough along the back for the shock to cause some lung damage and ultimately kill the deer. If you hit high along the back, the deer wouldn't have gotten up.
Bright red blood is arterial; could be lung but could just as easilly be from a branch of an artery supplying blood to muscle. Load up your gun, stay on her tracks in the snow. If she isn't dead she should be hurt bad enough for you to get close enough to to finish her off. Good Luck! <----<<<

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Letmgro said:
Sounds like you shot her in the "dead zone" just below the spine, which lead to momentary paralysis, but usually isn't fatal immediately. I will be suprized if you find this deer.

Been there/done that!

Good luck!
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

GOOD LUCK!

Mark

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
the doe I hit opening day last year. Hit high (probably) above the spine, knocked her flat and she was flapping her head around, then got up and stumbled off. Didn't think I needed to put another round in her, but by the time I figured I should she got into thick brush and I couldn't get a shot. Neighbors 300 yds away saw her walk by with blood dripping though the hair at the top of her back, no ill effects noted. Shouldn't have loaned my gun to a friend...or forgotten to replace the nipple in the ML...or not put my cheek down on the stock to see only the bead on the barrel...lessons learned!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts