Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Jeeps don't belong in the Dream Cruise, neither do SUV's, hopped up ricers, etc. The Dream Cruise is for classic cars, muscle cars, hot rods, roadsters and customs. All other vehicles, IF they MUST use Woodward, should stay in the inside lanes. People don't come to the Dreamcruise to look at Jeeps. An exception might be a cherry Willys period Jeep...Nah! Even tho' they're a cool vehicle they don't fit into this event.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Ummm...last I heard Woodward was a public street. ANY vehicle has the right to use ANY lane at ANY time they wish!

<preparing to duck>

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by PencilPlugger
Ummm...last I heard Woodward was a public street. ANY vehicle has the right to use ANY lane at ANY time they wish!

<preparing to duck>
You're right. However, given that the Dream Cruise is a one day event (for charity) I would think that as a matter of courtesy, other vehicles could stay in the inside lanes for the distance they needed to use Woodward. What I was referring to was the geeks that bring their vehicle oddities to "show off". Heck, there was even a guy on a riding mower. Not to mention the guy in the bathtub. The Cruise started to commemorate the glory days of Woodward culminating with the muscle car era. People don't come from the world over to see a lifted 4X.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by PencilPlugger
I agree but what can you do. Some people put a lot of hard work into those vehicles and I think they should be allowed. Anyhow, most of the picutes on these threads aren't even about jeeps. Also, most of these pictures of vechicles that were not muscle cars were not even in the right 2 lanes. They were in the left.

·
Administrator
26,666 Posts
People were asked if they did not have a classic car to stay in the "far left lanes" so the spectators can see the classics up front.
For that Sat. only they should ban all cars younger than 1980.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You tell'em plugger....
Now where are them ski's!!!

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
However, given that the Dream Cruise is a one day event (for charity)
The problem is that it's not a one day event. Take it to someplace like the track at the State Fair if you want to control what vehicles participate!

Nothing more boring than parades or fireworks, other than parades or fireworks on TV!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Right,wrong, or otherwise, this is what has kept me off the board recently, and what I took to the Woodward cruise! I worked my tail off trying to finish it to a presentable condition in time for the cruise. It's a 1974 Stires.

I'm surprised with everyone's perception of what the Woodward Dream cruise is all about! Personally I think the operative word is "Nostalgia" and not necessarily hot rods or otherwise labled classic's. To each his own I guess!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/p...p?photo=10296&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Toddfather

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by TODDFATHER
Right,wrong, or otherwise, this is what has kept me off the board recently, and what I took to the Woodward cruise! I worked my tail off trying to finish it to a presentable condition in time for the cruise. It's a 1974 Stires.

I'm surprised with everyone's perception of what the Woodward Dream cruise is all about! Personally I think the operative word is "Nostalgia" and not necessarily hot rods or otherwise labled classic's. To each his own I guess!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/p...p?photo=10296&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Toddfather

Don't take this the wrong way but the Stires is not a Dream Cruise type of vehicle. To me it's easy to know which ones belong but apparently to others it's not so clear. The Stires would be a dynamite vehicle for Daytona Bike Week. Did you take it to the Fowlerville Easy Riders Rodeo? :D

>>The problem is that it's not a one day event. Take it to someplace like the track at the State Fair if you want to control what vehicles participate!

Nothing more boring than parades or fireworks, other than parades or fireworks on TV!<<

PencilPlugger. It is a one day organized event. It is also not a parade. If there were less of the wrong type of vehicles the traffic would move faster. What are you complaining about anyway, you live in Lake Orion?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C'mon, let's keep this thread clean. We all have our different opinions. I could care less about a regualr car we see everday such as a traiblazer or a mini van but I do enjoy seeing vipers, lifted jeeps, or hott rods and something you don't see everyday.

Toddfather, like the...vehicle :p :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Recurve:

I couldn't agree with you more! The Stires is not the most appropriate vehicle that I might have taken to the cruise however it did generate a lot of interest. A thousand smiles, and a thousand thumbs up's. If everyone examined what makes the woodward crusie what it is, I think many "issues" would seemingly disappear.

I think the participation of people bringing vintage, one of a kinds, classics, radical mods, hot rods,etc. are the real attraction, and not driving up and down Woodward in the family car.

Lack of parking has forced people to cruise when they might be otherwise content to park and watch the display. Not everyone is willing to spend the night on woodward assuring themselves a parking spot, or spend a inappropriate ammount of money for parking. Talk about gouging! Sheesh. This lack of parking forces mom, dad and the kids to cruise where, and when it might be deemed more appropriate to display cruising participating vehicles. Common sense on their part should keep them in lanes appropriated for thru traffic.

How about directing some discord with the company's buying up whole parking lots to tout their products? I don't think the dream cruise has anything to do with what is going on in the automotive world today but rather quite the opposite.

I think its unfortunate that so many have a such a narrow definition of what is deemed appropriate within the context of participation. Seems to me that your comments are effectivly " Straining for ants, and letting the hippos go through"!

I'm sure we agree on far more than we might disagree on but without participation of vehicles, everyone might as well stay home!

Respectfully: Toddfather

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I would think htat the name alone should say alot about what is and isn't "appropriate" to the DREAM cruise.

The word DREAM tells me that it should be vehicles that I can DREAM about driving or owning, not just old cars, and not just new, but everything DIFFERENT.

I know it was originally set up to be classic cars, but if you want classics, then have the name changed to CLASSIC DREAM CRUISE or something else more approprate to what you want to see.

As far as I can see, it has expanded over the years into something that the origuinators never expected, a Mutiday event in which sponsors have basically taken over the whole shebang. I know that several original planners have refused to particapate due to the changes, and while I applaude thier sense of value, I also know as they should know that it was bound to happen. Lets face it, this is the MOTOR CITY, and any event having to do with Cars, is gonna bring the car companies out wanting a piece of the pie.

I do agree that it has gotten way to large to properly organize and operate in a manner that all of us will agree on, thats too bad really, as it should be simply a celebration of automotive inginuity.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Originally posted by TODDFATHER
Right,wrong, or otherwise, this is what has kept me off the board recently, and what I took to the Woodward cruise!

Hey thats cool TF...i didnt know you were a fellow gear head!:cool: I have been off the site for awhile for the same reason,tryin to get a car ready for the cruise.
I dont know how to post a pic ....but if you want to see what i have been busy doing check out the pic's in my gallery.

The t bird is what i was building for this year and the 69 goat is a car i have been working on for the last 4 years...should be ready for next years cruise.

Talk about close....i just finished building the bird motor and fired it up 2 days before the cruise. Alot of late nights last week:D

STEELDRIFTER

·
Registered
707 Posts
Steeldrifter, that is one fine looking T-Bird! I see you're not going for an "original" restoration on that Goat. Holy Smokes! What's the plan? Are your going the Pro Street route? I know this is an Outdoors forum but in "Sound Off" anything goes so keep us posted on the progress. I love stuff like this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts