Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to pull traps last night from this little section of ditch that I pulled 11 rats and 2 mink from since last weelkend. Only had 6 traps set, 2 trails, 2 channels and 2 edge sets.It was a nice little spot that I checked close to home after a long drive from work.
I told myself I was lucky so far and was going to pull after this last time.
Someone must have seen the ice chunks lying on top of the smooth ice so I think it was a fellow trapper that read the sign. They never found the trail sets just the edge and channel. It's not the $10 in traps that make me mad, it's the 20 other rats/mink I could have caught in the traps if I had them for the rest of the season.
Last week when I was checking traps with my Son a DNR Officer pulled up to chat and check out our catch, so I'm going to contact him and let him know to be the lookout, those guys can find a needle in a haystack!
If only there was a GPS tracking system the DNR could hide in the traps/wood stakes to find scum that think it's ok to help themselfs.
Alright done venting. It make you want to just throw in the towel sometimes.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Bummer for sure! Haven't had it happen to me in a long time, but I stay away from easy places now also. It is a shame that I have to do that because of others.

Don't give up and hopefully the CO can somehow bust the guy. I know the feeling and it isn't fun.

Good luck the rest of the season. OT

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Got hit for 2 of the 4 330s i've got set for otter the other day :mad: I could see where a boat had been pulled around a log jam just upstream of my sets.Nice tight spot he walks/stands in to pull the boat thru :idea: Think i'll replace the stolen dukes with belisle's,I hear they are REAL strong.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Only hear of this stuff here in Michigan for some reason. Its a sad day when so called "sportsmen" resort to BS like that. I hope you eventually catch him.

Ganzer

·
Registered
911 Posts
I feel your pain, as I also had traps stolen this year. It caused me to just throw in the towel and pull all my traps. Like so many of these stories read, it is evident that fellow "trappers" are most likely to blame. The bad taste it has left me may never get me setting traps again. Which way do you think I'll be voting if a trapping issue ever comes up on the ballot?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I feel your pain, as I also had traps stolen this year. It caused me to just throw in the towel and pull all my traps. Like so many of these stories read, it is evident that fellow "trappers" are most likely to blame. The bad taste it has left me may never get me setting traps again. Which way do you think I'll be voting if a trapping issue ever comes up on the ballot?

I sure hope you dont vote against our rights to trap. Thats like a kick in the nuts to all of us. Dont let some low life change the way you enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure hope you dont vote against our rights to trap. Thats like a kick in the nuts to all of us. Dont let some low life change the way you enjoy yourself.
Sure is, Don't give up, it's just part of the game, like fishing and you get a snag and loose your $5 lure, you don't give up, you tie another one on keep fishing. I already reset the traps I lost in the same spot, but this time I will check before work and remove my traps and reset again at dark. I just like to come on this site and post to blow off some steam and read the stories from other guys to make sure I'm not the only one. Maybe one day the people that are stealing traps will finally figure out how to log onto a computer and find this great site and put there trap stealing days behind them.
On a side note I wish the DNR would make the laws a bit stiffer on someone that got caught stealing a trap, they need to set up some sting operations like they do with the mechanical deer.:evil:

·
Registered
911 Posts
The kick in the nuts is how I felt when I discovered my traps stolen, as I'm sure each of you that have had traps stolen felt. Loosing a fishing lure is not the same. That truely is part of the sport of fishing. Having your traps stolen is not part of the "game". It's a kick in the face from a supposed trapper who lives under the banner you all suport, and will continue to do so. We as trappers are supposed to look out for each other, not look for each others steel. Nobody really cares that someone lost a few traps to thieves, not the DNR(who I called 1 week ago yesterday, and again today and haven't heard from) and not fellow trappers. How do I know fellow trappers don't care? Look at the amusing responses to the thief thread I posted a week ago.

Trapping as an activity is very low on participants to begin with, I quit a week ago, and for youngsters and newbies with their hard earned trap money, explain to them why they should start trapping, only to worry about trap theft from those they are supposed to support. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I really don't see anything in these posts that would make me think that "trappers" were the ones to blame.Even if they were taken by somone who has any knowledge of trapping,it don't make them trappers in my book.Would you like to see bow-hunting outlawed because your tree-stand got stolen? Or all use of dogs for hunting banned because some turn'em loose on private property?I can understand being upset,but come on :confused:

·
Banned
1,961 Posts
Kind of a coincidence.....My trapping buddy works in Capac at an auto body place an sets traps at lunch etc. As of yesterday we are missing 18 traps plus whatever was in them.......mostly 110s with shims......real black, cause I die them also. Someone that looked suspicious was a red pickup, older feller, with a white beard......I just cant imagine WTH is going through this guys mind!!!!!!!
How about a bear trap buried in the mud with a hack saw on a stick nearby as a curiosity bait.:evilsmile Enjoy mother bleeper!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hate hearing about this type of stuff.I have had treestands get stolen in the past and some vandalism to some shanties but never a trap missing. guess I been lucky.Hope you find your traps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind of a coincidence.....My trapping buddy works in Capac at an auto body place an sets traps at lunch etc. As of yesterday we are missing 18 traps plus whatever was in them.......mostly 110s with shims......real black, cause I die them also. Someone that looked suspicious was a red pickup, older feller, with a white beard......I just cant imagine WTH is going through this guys mind!!!!!!!
How about a bear trap buried in the mud with a hack saw on a stick nearby as a curiosity bait.:evilsmile Enjoy mother bleeper!!!
S.Neimi chech your PM

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
S.Neimi chech your PM

I have to admit, I was thinking along the same lines, but don't get yourself in a situation that has a bigger price tag then an idiot messing with your set:evil:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

This doesn't make any sense! How do you know trappers are to blame? Theft shouldn't occur but some of the pictures of sets I've seen posted here are absolutely ripe for theft. Take this one for instance: If I made this set on state land (and I wouldn't for a number of reasons), I would expect the trap to be gone the next morning. Like it or not, concealing traps from both the target and humans is important.

Also, your logic for voting against trapping makes no sense whatsoever. <Sarcasm on> I'll be sure to vote against bird hunting the next chance I get because I think I once had a trap that was stolen by a bird hunter. <Sarcasm off>

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm not really a trapper, but have a lot of appreciation for what you guys do.
I trap pigeons off rooftops for dog training - and have had many traps stolen and vandalized by animal rights weirdos. I understand the frustration. Thankfully, I make my own traps cheap. So, when the baztards detroy one, I replace it within a few hours. Usually they see I am relentless and it is not worth them getting caught on a buisiness's rooftop at night.;)
Lost traps aren't as infruriating as the lost pigeons.

I know you guys can't make your own traps, but don't give up. All sportsman need you.

And, you will always have my family's vote!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I am really glad I live where I do people for the most part in the UP still respect trappers and other peoples property. I suppose it has to do with the fact that we have lots of room to roam and are used to giving everyone space.

I feel for those of you that in order to enjoy yourselves have to move into marginal area's or trap on top of each other and I really feel for those of you that loose traps to theft.

I did have two traps stolen here the first year I lived in the area and I thought I would share the story. I made two mink sets on sign on the side of a rock face next to the water. I had to wire to rocks in the water for an anchor there was nothing else. I was out duck hunting near the traps and I watched through my binoculars as he approached near the traps. I think he honestly stumbled onto them but once he found the first he started looking around and found the second one. I could not tell what he did to them but he was in the area for a while. I called my wife and had her drive by and get the license plate of the truck just in case.

After I was done duck hunting I went and did a trap check. My sons trap held its first muskrat and the mink sets were gone. I called my wife and she brought my son down and we went out and did a check so he could "discover" that he had his first rat. Good day!

After that I called the RAP line. It was November 14th. Got a call back that the CO was notified. That evening after dark he called and came over and took all the info. This is a good time to mention he was new to the area and also a trapper. He ran the plate and the guy was known to him. Traps were not recovered but the guys place was searched and he was questioned. The guy admitted to messing with the traps and throwing them into the deep water. I felt it was handled really well. Tossing the guys truck made me feel better as well. :lol:Before coming to my house the CO had been sitting watching a camp for poaching of deer before season. Still had time to come by and invest hours into trying to recover 6$ in traps.

two days later in bright sunlight I recovered the traps from 10 feet of water in front of where they were set. The guy apparently had an issue with my trapping that area and tossed them into deep water. I was surprised to see them down that deep but got them back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The kick in the nuts is how I felt when I discovered my traps stolen, as I'm sure each of you that have had traps stolen felt. Loosing a fishing lure is not the same. That truely is part of the sport of fishing. Having your traps stolen is not part of the "game". It's a kick in the face from a supposed trapper who lives under the banner you all suport, and will continue to do so. We as trappers are supposed to look out for each other, not look for each others steel. Nobody really cares that someone lost a few traps to thieves, not the DNR(who I called 1 week ago yesterday, and again today and haven't heard from) and not fellow trappers. How do I know fellow trappers don't care? Look at the amusing responses to the thief thread I posted a week ago.

Trapping as an activity is very low on participants to begin with, I quit a week ago, and for youngsters and newbies with their hard earned trap money, explain to them why they should start trapping, only to worry about trap theft from those they are supposed to support. Good luck with that.

Actually you would be surprised. It takes a bit to get ahold of your local CO officers but be persistant and they dont mind helping out people. Its their job. Also people do care that fellow trappers get stuff stolen or there wouldn't be a post on any of these stolen trap topics. Whether you like to believe it or not we look out for each other. Its just the select few (like in any group) that will put a sour taste in anybodys mouth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure that some of our traps that end up missing are due to other so-called trappers but I wonder how many actually disappear from the animal rights activists. I have come across them while hunting and trapping both. They read trapping web sites and learn how and where to set traps. They know where to find traps. As dumb as they are, they might be able to find some traps. We will never know who is taking our traps until they are caught. As for the DNR, I know the CO's love to catch violators. Its why they picked that profession. Making a report may not get your traps back but if they get a lot of reports for certain areas they will know where to focus their efforts. Even if just one PETA member is caught, it was worth the effort in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts