Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Some Consent Decree news...

45886 Views 1008 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  ThreeDogsDown
Reactions: fisheater
341 - 360 of 1009 Posts
There is an article in the Leelanau Enterprise newspaper regarding the Consent impasse. Looks like the Sault Tribe is creating all the havoc. It appears the Sault tribe has 41 commercial fishers, Bay Mills have 28, Grand Traverse has 13 and Little River has 8. Looks like there are 69 fishers on Lake Superior and only around 21 fishers on Lake Michigan. There appears to be a disproportionate number when comparing Superior vs Michigan.

The Sault tribe wants to fish all the Treaty waters in Lake Michigan. The Sault tribe harvest (if you can believe it) constitutes 68% of the total harvest. They need more water for the 41 fishers.
Some confusion about deadlines. An area in the article talks about a1 week extension, another talk about indefinite.
I did not read the paper but the detail was told to me. Please correct me if I don't have all the detail explained correctly.
Announcing Outdoor News on 11-15 is kinda like announcing political news late on Friday afternoon. Sounds though like it’s extension time, again. This whole process makes less sense each time.
MUCC posted an article today to subscribers. Of course it anti tribal. No real details except that the Soo tribe wants their own deal since to other 4 tribes have some odd demands.
Reactions: Gordon Casey
If only we had a seat at the table to break this impasse.
There is an article in the Leelanau Enterprise newspaper regarding the Consent impasse. Looks like the Sault Tribe is creating all the havoc. It appears the Sault tribe has 41 commercial fishers, Bay Mills have 28, Grand Traverse has 13 and Little River has 8. Looks like there are 69 fishers on Lake Superior and only around 21 fishers on Lake Michigan. There appears to be a disproportionate number when comparing Superior vs Michigan.

The Sault tribe wants to fish all the Treaty waters in Lake Michigan. The Sault tribe harvest (if you can believe it) constitutes 68% of the total harvest. They need more water for the 41 fishers.
Some confusion about deadlines. An area in the article talks about a1 week extension, another talk about indefinite.
I did not read the paper but the detail was told to me. Please correct me if I don't have all the detail explained correctly.
Wouldn't help one bit. The Tribes are fighting amongst themselves.
If only we had a seat at the table to break this impasse.
Why would sportsman want to break the impasse?

The Status quo is good and my hope is it goes on forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
. No real details except that the Soo tribe wants their own deal since to other 4 tribes have some odd demands.
[/QUOTE
Can you elaborate on the odd demands? Just curious.
Reactions: sportsman98
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"
Wouldn't help one bit. The Tribes are fighting amongst themselves.
Thanks, Cork! Looks like we finally seen some actual, legal findings from the negotiations and Court. Wondering what will happen when those deadlines are not met? The Courts rule? The 2000 Consent is dead? Anyway, something should be happening soon.

Looks like Natives are on the warpath.
Reactions: ThreeDogsDown
All NWMI Fishing Club Members, If you are interested in get the latest public releasable Tribal Consent Decree update, the President of the CPMR (Coalition to Protect Michigan Resource) will be presenting tomorrow night at our club meeting.

If you are not a club member, you can become a club member at the door ($20 per year) and get updated on the gill net situation and also our club happenings. Come on out!

800 Hastings Street, Suite C, Traverse City, 630pm-830pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Public Released Court Order signed 02DEC2022 - When there is a new consent decree, (Thank God for the Soo Tribe holding up the signatures) these 4 new gill net expansions will be in effect and are guaranteed to destroy the trout, perch, bass, cisco and anything that swims fisheries. Bravo to the State of Michigan!
1. New Gill nets from Empire to Glen Arbor to Leland! This is new. Only “less lethal trap nets” were allowed until now. Manitou Islands and Platte Bay are still targets for the Tribes, but that hasn’t been clarified yet. Knowing how effective the state is a protecting the resource, these areas will be fair game as well. At any rate, good bye to zones 813 (Empire, Glen Arbor) and 814 (Leland) to all fish. These will be cleaned out in 90 days.
2. New Gill nets in West Bay from the Elmwood Marina to Suttons Bay up to Peshawbestown! 4500’ per day. That is almost a mile of new gill nets where once there was none in zone 815 (West Bay).
New Gill nets in East Bay from the Center Road Launch up to the tip of the Old Mission Peninsula! 4500’ of gill net per day will be allowed because “it is the fairest and most equitable management plan for the great lakes”. Hilarious and unbelievable.
3. New and Improved small mesh gill nets from Norwood to Lake Charlevoix, including Lake Charlevoix and the Round Lake Channel. These are to get all the perch and walleye, and will also take all of the bass, small lake trout and all of the cisco. The State of Michigan did not present any biological persuasion argument.
4. New - Use of Hook-and-Line Gear for Commercial Fishing is now approved in Grand Traverse Bay. Just in case a laker, bass, cisco, or any other fish managed to stay out of the new 2-miles of gill nets, Tribal Commercial fishermen can now use hook-and-line gear for recreation with no limits.

You can thank The State of Michigan negotiating team for destroying the fishery in Lake Michigan:
DNR Director Dan Eichinger (re-assigned to avoid the heat)
DNR Fisheries Chief Jim Dexter (Retiring soon to avoid the heat)DNR/Tribal Unit Manager Dave Caroffino (promoted in August for great work)
DNR Chief Law Enforcement (recently promoted as well)

The next meeting to is 16 December.
  • Wow
Reactions: Josh R
Just when the fishing was starting to bounce back!! Goodbye to what’s left of the Lake Michigan fishery! It’ll happen quick!!
Gotta thank our resident MS commercial fishermen for that and gotta send a big shout out to Senator McBroom!
So does it even make sense for”Joe Fisherman” to support the Lake Michigan salmon program?? Or any other program for Mm4 that is funded, even partially, by our tax or license dollars?? I think not! Steelhead, lakers??? Na, it’s gonna go right into one of those nets! Crazy
Come on now Josh. I didn't think, just being a concerned citizen, that I had anything to do with the Consent. Your giving me way too much credit for just being interested in the goings on, that's all.
McBroom being a Senator had absolutely nothing to do with the negotiations, why are you shouting out to him?
Gotta thank our resident MS commercial fishermen for that and gotta send a big shout out to Senator McBroom!
On second thought, you are piling on....un warranted, un necessary and erroneous.
Come on now Josh. I didn't think, just being a concerned citizen, that I had anything to do with the Consent. Your giving me way too much credit for just being interested in the goings on, that's all.
McBroom being a Senator had absolutely nothing to do with the negotiations, why are you shouting out to him?
Mcbroom stopped the legislation that would have reigned in state licensed commercial fishermen. The lack of any progress on that gave the Indians better bargain ing power.
What happened in the Legislature had absolutely nothing to do with Consent negotiations. The Natives had all the bargaining power they needed regardless what happened to the commercial netting laws. If the house would have sent a balanced bill to the Senate there would have been new commercial netting laws. You can thank the DNR and MUCC for killing the bills. Balanced can also mean collective bargained where both sides win or at least have consensus.
Mcbroom stopped the legislation that would have reigned in state licensed commercial fishermen. The lack of any progress on that gave the Indians better bargain ing power.
  • Haha
Responses like this are why many on here believe you work for commercial fishing interests. This is a sport fishing and sport hunting forum. Nobody else on here want to see an expansion of commercial fishing except you here.
What happened in the Legislature had absolutely nothing to do with Consent negotiations. The Natives had all the bargaining power they needed regardless what happened to the commercial netting laws. If the house would have sent a balanced bill to the Senate there would have been new commercial netting laws. You can thank the DNR and MUCC for killing the bills. Balanced can also mean collective bargained where both sides win or at least have consensus.
  • Love
341 - 360 of 1009 Posts