Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Some Consent Decree news...

46533 Views 1016 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  ThreeDogsDown
Reactions: fisheater
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Only after all the fish are gone. Will there be serious negotiations.
Reactions: Benzie Rover
There is one important element to this discussion that isn’t really mentioned. They are more tribes today than there was back then. For instance Sault tribe broke away from Bay Mills tribe and now Mackinaw Band is breaking away from Sault Tribe. And, each tribe is fighting for their own piece of the pie. That issue needs to be resolved. And I don’t see any of the tribes budging on this unless the federal government steps in.
the other problem is that no one is contesting the right to fish. It’s the take that’s the problem. There are only so many fish. The idea that the tribes deserve more or one tribe deserves more than another is a loosing argument. It didn’t work in South Africa and it won’t work here. “One man one vote”. “ one man one fish”. 😊
I agree. This whole topic is way above sport fishing. It’s about money and power over the Great Lakes and its resources. Just imagine what would happen if oil was discovered in Lake Superior?
There is no reason for CPMR or MUCC to have a seat at the negotiation table. Neither one is signatory to any treaty. If they want to meet with the DNR separately to air their grievances that’s fine. Next thing you know PETA and Sierra Club will want a seat at the table to protect all fish that does not fall under tribal resource management. Let the tribes and the Feds come up with an agreement both can live with and the State can come up with a plan to monitor sport fishermen’s allotment of the resource. Win win for all involved.
This brings up an interesting point. The Supreme Court ruled that Michigan has the power to enforce its law on its citizens and has the power to stop importing illegal tribal fish to market. In other words, the state can not stop tribal fishermen from selling fish but, it sure can stop non tribal citizens from buying it.
Who is buying these Indian fish?
  • Haha
Reactions: Luv2hunteup
From what I’ve been hearing it’s the tribes that are arguing among themselves about who gets what and where and this is causing the delay. The state is just sitting at the table waiting for the tribes to settle their own differences.
Reactions: Forest Meister
From what I understand about this is it’s the 2000 consent decree that is being negotiated. It has a 20 year term. And it’s only for the Great Lakes and connecting waters of the treaty area. There’s a 2004?or 2008? Not quite sure of the year it was imposed. Consent decree with the state of Michigan only. This decree deals specifically inland and deals with both hunting and fishing rights. There are 2 separate decrees each one governing different areas. Some one can chime in on this if I’m wrong.
Reactions: Gordon Casey
Europeans have been settled in the Great Lakes region for 400 years. A full blooded Indian in this area is nonexistent. Even Cheif Shingwauk, who was one of the signers of the Huron Treaty on the St. Mary’s was 50% European. It’s not about quantum. If you can prove you are a descendant of one of the families that was documented as being a tribal member back in the day, your in.
If you were to dna test todays card holders, it would be hard to find a quantum greater than 1% Native American. 1% is significant. It means one of your Great, Great, Great Grandparents was full blooded.
My wife is a tall blue eyed blonde American of Scandinavian decent. She recently did her dna testing and found out she is %1 equatorial African. She jokes all the time with her Native friends that she’s just as African as they are Native. Lol
Are you saying that no DNA or birth records are required to be a subsistence hunter and fisher? Just being a card carrying member is all that is required?
. No real details except that the Soo tribe wants their own deal since to other 4 tribes have some odd demands.
[/QUOTE
Can you elaborate on the odd demands? Just curious.
Reactions: sportsman98
With my experience fishing in the north my whole life, I can say this. There’s been a lot of netting going on up here for a long time and there’s still fish to catch. My friends would come up from down state and fish with me, they would say, “what the hell is that thing floating the water over there?” A gill net, I would reply. They would say, “ Are you ****ting me”. They would be so mad, you think they would jump out of the boat.

This has been a subject that for most that has been a thing up north. Now it is becoming more wide spread. There will always be commercial fishing in the Great Lakes. And, there will always be recreational anglers fishing the Great Lakes. Habitat will dictate what you are going to catch and how much. And, that habitat continually changes with water levels, water quality, disease. Etc. Any changes caused by people can be corrected by people. As long as there’s fish to catch no one is going to do anything about the decree. Only thing we can do is wait and look for changes. Only when the fish are gone will there be real negotiation.
No. Commercial fishermen sell fish for profit. Charter boats sell the trip. Two totally different things. Question. If a guy just rented fishing boats for a living. Would you consider him a commercial fisherman?
Arn’t charter boats considered a commercial fishing operation?
I wouldn’t pay $40 / # Steak is much cheaper than that.
Reactions: Gordon Casey
1 - 11 of 11 Posts