Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
We can refuse to enforce the treaty. Let them set whatever laws they want. As Americans were not bound by tribal law. Perfect example; marijuana, legal at the state level, no no on the fed level but they agree not to enforce. Sorry I got sucked into this again🥸

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
John
I understand your emotion! Keep in mind the Treaty and Consent are there to somewhat protect us. The Treaty and Consent, un enforced, would allow the Natives to fish and net on every lake and river within the Treaty zone. The Consent restricts them to netting zones.
I’ve been married for 29 years, I’m emotionless.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
Oh geez, why not!

in 1836 we also had rights to freely fish wherever we wanted in the lakes. (We being non tribal members). The treaty does not exclude us from fishing those waters it just gave permission to the tribes to fish the way they wanted to fish in those specific areas. In 1836 the feds also had balls enough to enforce this without worrying about recourse or retaliation through discrimination. Let’s just give the feds back their balls and let the tribes do whatever they want. Let try hem net what they plant, who cares. If their take out is equal to what they put in I’m good with it.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
I think the 2000 Consent banned non Native commercial netters from fishing some exclusive Native waters. Recreational anglers can fish anywhere in the Consent zone but have to follow white man reg's.
I’m OK with that too, I don’t think non-native commercial fishing is any different than native commercial fishing. It shouldn’t be done in the Great Lakes. And not that I’m a stickler for this but I would change that term from white to non-native. There are a lot of non-whites that are in this fight also.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
All good points here. I think the bottom line is, rules mean nothing without enforcement, & the way things are now, we have no legs to stand on. Outlaw commercial fishing in the Great Lakes ,across the board ,on a federal level & let the tribes & commercial guys come at us. Think outside the box, what we’re doing isn’t working so why keep doing it? Seems like all the money were donating would be better spent buying our own politician! They’re cheaper than they used to be!!

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
There in lies the issue. Non tribal members actually do not know what actions were taken if any. It’s a closed nation that has its own laws and punishment system. It may not seem fair to outsiders but that’s the way it is.
But they use our well fare & free medical system, right? Seems fair! Cool👍 Souvern nation my fanny!!✌

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
Come on jatc! It's another one of those pseudo public input sessions that are used to blow steam off of those that oppose the decision. Give them time to vent and allow them to say good bye. It's a done deal at that point.
Us recreational anglers can only hope for the best.
This really doesn’t say anything! It’s status quo for how it’s always been. Nothing different. Recreational anglers will not suffer one bit, it’s the commercial and the charter fishermen that are going to suffer. The impact on recreational fisherman will be next to nil, Other than having to weave around a few nets, or possibly just move them like we always have in the past! The other side of this law is these white folk don’t answer to the tribal laws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts