Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has experience with these. I know that accuracy wise they are not as good as the labs, but I think they could be a great reference and at the cost of them you could do several sites for less than $2.00 a test.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Grouse Hunter,

I've always sent mine down to Lansing thru the MSU Extension office. Its a very complete test plus you can designate a planned crop and they will give you specific fertilizer recommendations. You will then have a basis to discuss further with your county agent any questions. To me, its worth it.

Natty B.

PS you might need a jackhammer to get that soil sample now tho. LOL;)

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, those inexpensive kits only give you soil pH, and the number that they give is suspect.

NB is right on. Your local extension office will get a quality job done, and the turnaround is a lot faster than I expected. As I recall, I was charged $9 per sample (they provide these neat little boxes) and you get detailed results in a week to ten days.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I am actually looking at some kits that test for pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. You can test each 10 times and the kits are about 16.00

Do you pull samples from each potential plot location? Or mix samples from sites that are close in proximity and similar in soil structure?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Grouse Hunter,

I've been told to take a five gal pail to your field and then take ten soil samples from all areas of the field and mix them thorughly in the bucket. Then take the your sample to be sent to the lab from that thorughly mixed soil. The idea is to get an idea for the entire field , not just one particular spot. Hope this helps.

Natty B.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I did exactly like Natty describes and took my sample to the local co-op. They sent it to MSU for testing and I got the results in 10 days along with a hand written note from the lab tech telling me my soil was great for planting and good luck. $9 and I had the experts tell me everything was good to go. I can live with that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts