Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched my kayak today at Barber Park and paddle upstream a 1/4 - 1/2mile. It is so choked out with weeds there was very little fishing water. That said I caught over 40 fish but ALL small ones. I had 3 that maybe went 13 inches and the rest under 10 inches.

I could catch 20 easily fish in one spot.

At one point I saw 100's of what looked to be suckers schooled together and I hadn't seen that before.

I would like to float the river sometime and find the deeper areas but I'm afraid the weeds will make it difficult. At times I almost couldn't move they were so thick.

All in all a fun day.......just me and my 4" pumpkin colored worms.

·
Registered
774 Posts
this is a good sign...2 years ago you were hard pressed to find one under 12 inches...the big ones are still around you just got to bump into them. deeper areas with sunken trees seem to be where the big ones are hiding, also under bridges in the mid morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Fishfreak48

·
Registered
342 Posts
This time of the year yes lots of smalls but like mentioned above find your deeper pockets to find the nicer fish the fish you prolly seen were sheephead they never leave and always congregated in big schools like that see them every year. And last I knew they were dredging and removing a dam In flint might account for the lower water levels

·
Registered
164 Posts
As of last weekend still seen the bigger fish gaurding beds and small fry still on the beds.
Did manage a few over 16 inches. Been fishing the river around birch run area my whole life. As mentioned before bigger fish can be found in the deepest spots if you can get to them. From my years of fishing the best fishing is still to come. July and August have always produced the bigger fish for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts