Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we recently made a decision to sell our Jack dog. He's done very well for us.
Funny how we ended up with him.... Nobody else would take him. He was obnoxious to say the least. The most annoying dog I have ever seen. Extremely hyper and completely unmanagable. It was a chore just to get a leash on this dog. Well Matt ended up buying him (totally against my will) for pretty cheap. The dog wouldn't even bark on a track and he was 1 yr old. I was actually mad when he put my name on his papers.... lol.
We started spending a lot of time with Jack and after months and months, he started coming around.... He finally realized he had a name for one... and that he should pay attention to it. He settled down quite a bit too. Then he found a true passion for running deer. :dizzy: This dog wouldn't turn down an opportunity to run a deer, he loved them! We weren't sure if he was ever going to get broke from it. He's by far the most strong willed dog I've ever seen. Matt was about to throw in the towel, but we had both seen quite a bit of talant out of him as far as running a rabbit as well. I told him he'll brake from deer.... Just gotta keep trying. Well Jack finally understood that running deer is a big "NO NO"... and he was back to running only rabbits.
Jack started really doing well in the trials and it was amazing how fast he got good. He even came out of a few deer races in the trials which made me very very proud of him.
Anyway - Our greatest accomplishment with Jack has to be that he won the U.S. Championship beating out over 100 dogs. Jack finished 3rd in the country this year. I know that I'm late getting these pictures up, I finally took some of him with his trophies last night, (his last night with us). Jack will now call Georgia his home... and I'm sure I'll be seeing him down the road at certain field trials....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
All I can say is, WOW! Very impressive. And congrats to you for helping him find his way. I'm sure alot of people would have given up on him long before.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It must be a sad day but a good one all mixed together. That is a lot of trophys and what seems to be a hell of a dog. Good luck with the next one!
Ric

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Great photo!!!

When you spend lots of time working out the kinks in a good dog you get very close to them. It's tough to let them go. I sold 3 very nice winning dogs this past season. The pride one feels selling a good dog to someone is unmeasurable.

Do you have any of his offspring in your kennels to keep his line going?

Bruce

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Great picture! I'm sure you'll have plenty more trophy's in the future with some of the other dogs in your kennel.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Good job bringing him around and making a great dog out of him Megan!
I know it had to be difficult to let him go, for any price.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Great pic Timber:) That's a heck of a lot of trophy's! Good to hear you found him a good home.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to put a pic of him and Matt in here too! He's spent as much time with him as I have and if it wasn't for Matt we would have never owned him.

Rob - Dan sure throws good looking dogs huh?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back woods said:
Do you have any of his offspring in your kennels to keep his line going?

Bruce

I've got his 1/2 sister, and a few female pups that go back to the same line. And as Rob said, he owns his sire and I'm sure breeding a good female to him will happen sometime down the road.

Jack's only 2 1/2 and he's never been bred. Part of the deal when I sold him was that I could breed to him whenever I wanted. So if I happen to get a female that I think would cross well with him, that option is always there too.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Really admire your dedication to Jack in making him into a champion.

He sure is a nice looking animal! Good luck on your future endeavors in the beagling world; you and Matt obviously have what it takes to succeed.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
That is one heck of a trophy display!! I like the Michelob one the best.;)

Awesome looking dog. . .must be tough letting any dog go for you guys that do it.

Did he go to a beginner in the sport to help them along or someone experienced?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Great job with Jack, Megan. The fact that you guys could see the talent and work through tough stuff speaks volumes of your skill and your training program. Congrats....best of luck with future Champions.

Matt

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
omega58 said:
Did he go to a beginner in the sport to help them along or someone experienced?

Actually two guys went in on partners on him. One guy has been doing it for awhile and the other guy is just getting started.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I tell you, Matt and Megan are the real deal as far as dog people go...

My brother and I had Jack at our kennel for the first part of his life. He was just basically uncontrollable, like Megan said. We gave him back to the guy we got him from even after we spent the money on a starting pen. Just could not take him anymore...

They deserve all of the credit...they made him and gave him the special attention that he needed and the time.

Hope he can do as well down south.

Rob
www.fettingbeagles.com

1 - 20 of 30 Posts