Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How far will you be willing to reach when that big boy walks out?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Is that a bait pile ?? :sad:

To many variables each shot is different, reminds me of that hunting mag feature "would you take the shot ?"

I have dropped antalope at 200+
Most of my rifle hunting is limited to 70 yds due to terrain.

I hit a 4" circle regularly with my bow at 48yds, limiting shots to 30yds. I notice loss of KE at 45+ just not comfy with the penetration past 30yds.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
SHould have read how far are you accurate out to or where do you have your weapons sighted in at. See alot of folks are gonna claim they can bench shoot well out to x amount of yards so that is there comfort zone. BS need to practice at different positions angles weather.

Bow 35 yrds max
12 ga. 150 max (solid rest)
.308 300 max
.41 70 yrds max solid rest
Knife within inches before I pounce
Teeth ( have to be on the critter to bite the Juggular)...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
bow 30yds
rifle 200yds
shotgun 75yds

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
There is no way to accurately answer that question because of all the potential variables involved. To me the longest shot I will take with any weapon is one that at that given moment I am confident I can make. Sometimes that might mean with the eact same scenario and conditions I might shoot one day and pass the next.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've regularly practiced at 425yds with a .257wby with good results (taken a buck at 400). So that would have to be my distance if the conditions are right. If someone accuses me of not being a hunter I'll have to agree with them. I just love to shoot and occasionally bbq venison on the grill.:D

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
60 yards with shotgun, mostly due to stand location. I have one opening that is 150 yards, it the wounded monster walks thru there I'll take that shot. Otherwise, I have plenty of deer in close, so no need to take the long shot.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I shot a doe in the early antlerless this year that I ranged at just 100 yards. I'd feel comfortable at 25 yards beyond that with my 12 ga. 2 3/4 Lightfields, but beyond that they are dropping too fast. Also, beyond a hundred yards or so I start to have trouble judging whether an antlerless deer is a doe or a button, so it would have to be the big boy (or girl) for me to take the shot at 125.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Since I haven't shot at many deer long-range, here's what I have my weapons sighted in at. When I say sighted in, I mean I know my sights are dead nuts at that range using a rest (and correct breathing techniques).

Anyway:
Bow --> 15-45 yds
12ga. Shotgun (w/3-9 scope and rifled barrel, & LightFields) --> 100yds
.243 Ruger (w/3-9 scope shooting Remington 90gr. ballistic tips --> 250yds
50cal TC Omega (shooting 150gr powder & 250gr ShockWaves) --> 200yds
.454casull Super Red Hawk (w/2-6 scope) --> 75yds

Now, about 4 years ago, I pegged a small coyote with my .243 at 310yds. Beautiful!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The longest shot from my primary blind is about 100 yards.

I sight in at 100 and 50 for my shotgun and muzzleloader (probably wouldn't shoot more than 75 with the shotgun unless it was a monster that I couldn't get in closer).

I'll sight from 20 to 50 yards with my bow but would be unlikely to take a shot more than about 35 yards.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts