Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought i would let people know about a guy working in watervliet michigan as a licensed taxidermist. he took a duck of mine alittle over a year ago and told me it would be 6 months. I payed half down and now he is claiming he has depression and will not give me my duck back or my MONEY back!!!! I just thought i would let other people know NOT to take anything to KEITH K.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You'll have to file suit in small claims court for Breach of Contract. It isn't expensive to file, anyone over 18 and a Michigan resident can serve the Defendant so don't pay the court to do it. This is a slam dunk, you'll win, collecting can be harder. If he doesn't pay you can put a lien on his house, again not tough to do, no lawyers or high fees. I've been through both scenarios,the Courts will help guide you through the paperwork.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Biggbear said:
You'll have to file suit in small claims court for Breach of Contract. It isn't expensive to file, anyone over 18 and a Michigan resident can serve the Defendant so don't pay the court to do it. This is a slam dunk, you'll win, collecting can be harder. If he doesn't pay you can put a lien on his house, again not tough to do, no lawyers or high fees. I've been through both scenarios,the Courts will help guide you through the paperwork.
Good point! Liens can be VERY effective!!! Good luck to you...sorry to hear it!!!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This has happened twice in the last 10 years to our family. Once with a large northern we were having done downstate on once with a bear rug. So if you choose to have something done professsionally get reciepts and do some leg work. I wish I would have done more. :rant: Lost the fish and bear both.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just so everyone is aware of it, Anyone can become a licensed Taxdermist in the state. You only need to pay for the license. It does not mean that the person is good or knows what they are doing.

There are some who are smaller who are very good and not advertised and others who are well advertised and downright stink.

Now to get your federal license which is needed for waterfowl there are stricter guidlines that MUST be followed. You still must pay the fee yet you also must have a state licence ( we already been over that ) And they also request information on your experience and length of time as a participating taxadermist in your state.

Last thing to remember especially since this is a bird. The taxadermist must keep extensive records on every bird that is in their shop. They MUST record the license number of the person who shot the bird the address and name and phone number. The recorded tag in the book must be able to be cross referenced at any given time with the said bird. A second tag must be with the bird at all times so it can be identified.

Now what you can do is call a CO. And contact the feds. You then simply explain to the Co you want your bird back to take to another place as this guy is not cooperating. At that time they go with you to the shop and he can provide the bird to you or he can face the audit and feds digging that will definatly happen. If he is not working properly under his license then he will lose it. He will face fines and possibly criminal charges out of the issue since you are dealing with migratory birds.

All that plus the fact you can still take him to small claims court over the money and damages due to the loss of the bird (if it is lost or no longer able to be mounted due to circumstances)

This guy can and should be in definate trouble now you got the knowledge go get him.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Good stuff to know about birds!!! Good response! Hope everyone takes note..

FIND A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....AND GO THERE.....OFTEN

·
Registered
277 Posts
hunter 301000 i know exactly how you feel the very first buck i shot after bow hunting some 7+ yrs was a 11 point well after getting him caped i was absolutely exstatic over the fact that i would finally have a shoulder mount and i was looking forward to it, well 2 weeks after i dropped the head off i ended up in the hospital and had my second back surgery, needless to say i was down for the count for quite a few months, well the guy doing my head told us that it would be done in 6 to 8 months i could live with that and as the 6 month period was fast approaching i got antsi and called him he told me that my cape was no good and that it had gangreen on it and he didnt think it was salvageable but he would try and that i should call him in 2 weeks which i did, he then informed me that the cape would be fine and that he would have it finnished in 2 months, well 2 months passed and no call so after calling him 5 or 6 times and leaving messages etc he never returned my calls so 1 day i showed up at his place and he acted like he didnt know who i was. i should have taken my cape and antlers that same day but it never even dawned on me that i was getting screwed well to make a long sad story short, the next time i had a conversation with him it went like this,,, so how much longer will it be,, um what are you talking about i dont have your deer my wife gave it to your wife a month ago,,, oh really that is kind of strange as my wife has no idea what your talking about and i either want my money and deer cape and antlers back or im going to file a complaint in court,,, well you do what you feel you need to do but i have no idea what your talking about,,
well i filed in court the following monday but by the time an attempt was made to serve him he had left michigan and to this day i still cant find him

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Use caution with small claims court, by filing a claim against a buisness, you are almost assured a settlement, as a buisness cant go to small claims court, but once a judgement has been rendered against a buisness, they then have the right to appeal the judgement to circut court, could end up being time consuming and costly for you, as lawyers are allowed in circut court

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
..... ain't soundin so bad!

I'm afraid that if/when I shoot a big buck that I don't want that thing out of my sight!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My taxidermist filled out the paperwork, tagged the cape and rack and I have the rack til he is ready to work on my mount. That way, if anything goes wrong, I can at least mount the rack.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sounds like he needs a great big depression............right in the middle of his forehead!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
bvanzalen said:
In my experience, it's easy to get a judgement....it's harder to get them to pay.

exactly. Small claims suits can be removed to District Court not Circut Court, as the amount in controversy requirement for circut court is much higher than the Small claims cap. If its not worth it too you I would say dont waste your time. If you are retired or bored then have fun. I would reccomend having a gander at the 2005 Michigan Rules of Court with respect to small claims or district court actions, lest you screw up and end up being sanctioned yourself, I know someone it happened to.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Just wanted to say the guy I hunt with had a small claims case go in his favor for a bit of money, but the dead beat never paid. He lost track of it, but 2 years later this check shows up. Apparently the guy got arrested and they checked and sure enough he never paid that settlement... so now he had to pay or stay in jail. My buddy was tickled pink all through gun season over that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts