Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about peoples' experiences with newer machines. I haven't had to get a new one in about 5 years. My most recent one is a craftsman with a 36" wide mouth and a 357cc motor. Big beast. I love the machine, but she's wearing out. My backup blower is a Toro that must be nearly 10 years old and it's a more standard 24" machine. I'd like to move that one to emergency use.

I move snow commercially and currently service about 80 stops, so needless to say I work the hell out of a machine.

I wonder if there's a consensus on well built, sturdy machines coming from a specific manufacturer. I also wonder who has experience with, as I call them, tank track machines. Are there noticeable advantages and/or disadvantages to that style of machine, other than looking cool, lol?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Ive had an MTD for about 20 yrs now but only use in on my own drive, did do a couple neighbors 2 or 3 times but nothing
commercial.

I like a larger HP model and one w/ larger/wider tires, all else being equal.

Also I havent done it but check youtube for "supercharging snowblowers"--nothing to do w/ engine but impeller. Looks like we all should do it.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive had an MTD for about 20 yrs now but only use in on my own drive, did do a couple neighbors 2 or 3 times but nothing
commercial.

I like a larger HP model and one w/ larger/wider tires, all else being equal.

Also I havent done it but check youtube for "supercharging snowblowers"--nothing to do w/ engine but impeller. Looks like we all should do it.
Supercharging?! I like the idea. Sounds very Tim the Toolman Taylor.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I thought i had responded but I don't see it so here again. I use to work on snow blowers a bit in the past besides being around the snow removal business. Ariens has long been the gold standard in snow blowers.

·
Registered
15,924 Posts
Ariens makes great stuff. I have a Sears/Craftsman 2-stage that works great. But it has a 9 hp engine, and 29" cowl opening. If you are handy with carbs, you can probably find some good deals on 2-stage blowers on Craigslist. Ya gotta love how people want to throw away engines that don't run because they have 3-year old gas in them. Throw some chains on the tires of a good 2-stage blower, and you'll have what you need.

This is basically the machine I have, except mine is newer, and has electric start.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/d/macomb-craftsman-9hp-29-two-stage-snow/7256184287.html

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
This one's a pretty mean machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

3rd winter using it & have yet to find any snow that would stop it. Just be sure you DO NOT get stuck between it & a brick wall in reverse while forgetting to release the damn throttle. Only down side I have found is the rubber tracks aren't great if there's a layer of ice underneath the snow pack.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
View attachment 630459
View attachment 630461
3rd winter using it & have yet to find any snow that would stop it. Just be sure you DO NOT get stuck between it & a brick wall in reverse while forgetting to release the damn throttle. Only down side I have found is the rubber tracks aren't great if there's a layer of ice underneath the snow pack.
Have a Honda as well,but smaller ,like 5hp. It will go through snow up to the bottom of the handle bars and above the tracks NO PROBLEM,but only 2 speeds . I would like it to go faster.Hard to beat the durability and reliability of Honda engines...

Reactions: Namrock

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Curious about peoples' experiences with newer machines. I haven't had to get a new one in about 5 years. My most recent one is a craftsman with a 36" wide mouth and a 357cc motor. Big beast. I love the machine, but she's wearing out. My backup blower is a Toro that must be nearly 10 years old and it's a more standard 24" machine. I'd like to move that one to emergency use.

I move snow commercially and currently service about 80 stops, so needless to say I work the hell out of a machine.

wonder if there's a consensus on well built, sturdy machines coming from a specific manufacturer. I also wonder who has experience with, as I call them, tank track machines. Are there noticeable advantages and/or disadvantages to that style of machine, other than looking cool, lol?

I repair outdoor equipment,a few years back i serviced a "White" brand with a 9hp Tecumpseh engine,
4 WD and power steer, a real beast that would throw snow 40'.An older model and Tecumpseh is no longer in business..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
View attachment 630459
View attachment 630461
Yes sir all that,the only other down side is the weight that makes it super difficult to move without running the engine.Easy starting and reliability cannot be beat...

Reactions: Namrock

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Yes sir all that,the only other down side is the weight that makes it super difficult to move without running the engine.Easy starting and reliability cannot be beat...
Yes it's definitely on the heavy side of things. The 1st few times I used it I tried to manhandle it around. Yeah that was a mistake.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes it's definitely on the heavy side of things. The 1st few times I used it I tried to manhandle it around. Yeah that was a mistake.
Honda does offer a larger model than than yours ,Namrock.In case OP is interested in a
wider path.That model has 11hp and 32"width i think,more suited to commercial use,but be prepared for sticker shock.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Honda does offer a larger model than than yours ,Namrock.In case OP is interested in a
wider path.That model has 11hp and 32"width i think,more suited to commercial use,but be prepared for sticker shock.
Update: Honda does now offer a 36"model,and it comes at a hefty price,over 8 K....

Reactions: Macs13

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,441 Posts
Honda 826 (8 HP / 26" width) with the rubber tracks and hydrostatic transmission here in da Central UP has been getting the job done for over 25 years. Problems have been very rare...I replace belts when needed, new spark plug every year, Seafoam at regular intervals; it's pretty bulletproof

I don't really have to horse it around much as I'm clearing long, straight shots. I highly recommend getting the light kit - it's been invaluable when the only time available to move snow is after work.

Our driveway is around 150 yards long - it takes 4 passes (2 up and 2 down) to clear it, but 6 passes gets it real clean. I just count it as "exercise" haha. Might not be able to do that when I'm 70 but so far, so good!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.