Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any reccommendations for snow goose hunting guides in like Iowa or MO.

Looking for personal past experiance

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
not a personal endorsement, but an opinion from someone I value & trust over all others...

"About $400 for three days including lodging, thats with Don Rieger in western Iowa. last time I went my buddy and I killed 178 birds in two and a half days. Its a 13 hour drive there from here. Look on a map its an hour or so south of Council Bluffs."

If you're interested further, let me know and I'll get more detailed contact info.

·
Registered
639 Posts
have heard nothing but good things about Shawn Bowen's "In Your Face" guide service in Missouri! I know there are a couple of members here that have hunted with him in the past so they can elaborate on it more

his web site is In Your Face!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hunted with Shawn Bowen, last Feb., although the weather threw us a curve 20 degrees, wind, snow, and sleet, which stopped the migrants from showing up. Shawn busted his tail to to put us on the local birds.

The man works hard to put his clients into some geese. Based on that hunt I would recommend him, he's a real class guy.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
sounds like you have a couple of options with endorsements.

Here's an update to that inquiry I sent out for you...

DISCLAIMER- a buddy from Ohio had this experience... (not my own)

"I have been out to south western Iowa a couple of times snow goose hunting along the Missouri River. I hunted at Mid-Continent Flyway Outfitters with Pro - Guide Don Rieger. Great experience, and literally a truck load of birds, the last time we went out a friend and I shot 172 Snows , Blues and Ross geese in two and a half days, we had hit the migration perfect! My half of expenses was around $450 for everything. That trip we went the end of March, the geese seem to yo-yo north to south with the freeze line while migrating north, that particular time was the most waterfowl I have EVER seen in my life, any where,, that includes hunting Canada. There is no limit ,, no plugs in shotguns,, electronic callers ,,, huge decoy spreads, hunt from dark until dark ,,, over water and fields out of heated pits with meals. It is an eleven hour drive for me and I live close to Dayton.

I can't vouch for the outfitter personally, but I can for my buddy (He'd feel my wrath if he ever steered me wrong!! ;) )

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have hunted with Shawn Bowen for several years. I have also hunted other guides in Missouri too. I would go with Shawn Bowen. Shawn is generally less expensive than many too. But you will be helping to set up and tear down, so if you are lazy, his service is not for you. Shawn is not just locked in to a couple fields, he has many that you can hunt if need be. He also has pit blinds available too. Whether or not I hit the migration Shawn has always produced birds. When you hit the migration you have never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Does that fee include them cleaning the birds? If not, 172 geese is a LOT of cleaning to do!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
A friend of mine guides in MO.I havent gone goose hunting down there but he does a good job of turkey and deer here in MI.If you are interested you can email me and i will get in touch of him my email is [email protected].

1 - 9 of 9 Posts