Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I want to see if I can help a few of you asking about snaring.

First to start off you have to have the animals. Check deer trails and check for smallgame trails for sign. So know you have found the yote.

What is a snare and how does it work and why is there so much to choose from? A snare is a live holding restrained it is made out of Stainless Cable sometimes 7x7 and some are 1x19 cable. The snares come in varying lenghts to accomdate your field and conditions.

Now how do you set a snare? First if it is a open field I will set a 8-10ft snare staked with a cable stake. Find a narrow spot in the trail that goes through the field. Next stake the snare. Next build a snare support. A snare support is a piece of 9 ga. wire made to support the snare. Next open your snare up to about 10-12 inch circle and pull you snare support to hold the bottom of the snare off the ground about 10-12 inches for yotes and 6-8 inches for fox. That will get you started now use a shorter snare in heavy brush so the yote won't tangle up.

I use many different kinds of snares. Some I use with a deer stop and then some I use with breakaways. I prefer the breakaways verses the deer stops but that is my opinion some do like the deer stops.

I guess the most important thing about snares and snaring is letting you landowner know what they are and how they work. On all the farms I trap I make a point to contact every houndsmen on the place mostly for rabbits to show them how a snare works and how to get your dog out of one.

Now for you houndsmen if you would like someone to come to one of your meetings and show how a snare works and to get a little more knowledge on snares contact me I do sit on the board for Michigan Trappers Association.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Good info, I just wish we could use snares more. I personally feel better setting a snare instead of a foothold when there are dogs around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
thanks for the info .I am going down to bath to get set up with some equipment.i hear that hedge rows are good places to look for a crossing. we also have a old dump on our land seems to have yotes looking for bunnies,thinking of trying there to. thanks again ,,anthony

·
Registered
588 Posts
In Michigan we are required by law to not only have the 350 lb beakaway, but also the deer stops that don't allow the snare to close to a diameter less that 2 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Hondaxr...if you check the date on the original posts, you will see they were made last year when the regs on snaring were different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts