Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the third time I’ve had a snapping turtle bite/chew the neck off a goose that sat in water before it was retrieved.

The first time I figured birds or some sort of hawk did it.

The second time was nearby the first occurrence so it was too coincidental and we were told that turtles were the culprit.

Yesterday it happened again on the opposite side of the state.

Not that it matters, just a funny thing that happens to me.

I see quite a few geese with chewed up feet. Must be the turtles. Who knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seen the turtle thing eating on waterfowl prior to being retrieved more than once.
Crazy when you see a duck start bobbing up and down in calm water only to find out a turtle was snacking on him/her.
Better yet is when Sea duck hunting and the Seals steal your bird completely before you can retrieve.
As of late Seals have become conditioned.
When they hear a shotgun it's like dinner bell.
All about a free meal. Lol..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seen the turtle thing eating on waterfowl prior to being retrieved more than once.
Crazy when you see a duck start bobbing up and down in calm water only to find out a turtle was snacking on him/her.
Better yet is when Sea duck hunting and the Seals steal your bird completely before you can retrieve.
As of late Seals have become conditioned.
When they hear a shotgun it's like dinner bell.
All about a free meal. Lol..
user name checks out

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sneaky snapper... I’ve had them try to get bluegills off a stringer I had tied to me while wade fishing.

Surprising, but stands to reason they would take a pass at other protein sources

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 years ago hunting 6-7-8 wahl rd at shiawassee...had bald eagle swoop down over my head and take my cripple i was chasing. was ok tho, cause crippled was getting away. lol
It was banded and the bald eagle wears it to this day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts