Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Snakes

28K views 259 replies 68 participants last post by  Dish7 
#1 ·
I had mentioned seeing a Fox Snake near the barn on another thread and Stickbow and Jr were disappointed that I didn't post a photo of it. Well, I saw 2 of them yesterday and did take some pics. These snakes (also called Pine Snakes up here) are fairly common. We have seen many of them that are 5 feet in length. Although they do look somewhat like the Missasauga Rattler they are actually non-venomous and quite harmless. My wife doesn't like the idea of having them around the barn and her garden but they do eat a lot of voles (my apple tree nemesis) and ticks so they are OK in my book:

In reading this link below, I see that Michigan is home to both the Western Fox Snake and the Eastern Fox Snake:

Fox Snake - Snake Facts

I saw this small female working her way along the edge of the barn. When I approached it to get a photo it turned around and went the other way:

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Siding Hardwood

When I came back a few minutes later I saw that it had hooked up with a larger male at the corner of the lean-to:

Wood Road surface Reptile Asphalt Iguania

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Python Serpent

They appeared to be mating:

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Viper

When I returned a few minutes later they had both disappeared but then I noticed that the larger one which had apparently climbed up the corner post inside of the steel, was working his way down under the concrete. I don't want to trap them in there now but I will be filling in this hole come fall:

Wood Road surface Flooring Floor Asphalt

See less See more
#7 ·
A lot of people are terrified of snakes as you say Stickbow. Unfortunately, their fear of them results in a lot of snakes being killed (illegally) here in Michigan. They also get a bad rap because they will eat bird eggs (and birds if they can get them) so a lot of grouse and turkey hunters are not so fond of them. For me, the snakes fondness of rodents and ticks outweighs the loss of game birds. Everybody has to eat, I guess.

#9 ·
I have seen a lot of road killed snakes and often wonder how "accidental" they actually were. Same thing with turtles this time of year. They are migrating and are often seen crossing roads. I really hate to see a 20-25 year old turtle lying dead in the road. I can't tell you how many times my wife has stopped along the road to "rescue" turtles. She usually just "helps" them get across the road but she has been known to bring a box or painted turtle home and release them near our pond.

Very much agree Stickbow - Everything has its place...

#11 ·
That is very cool. I have never heard of a snake eating ticks. Is that just because the ticks are on the voles? My wife has a bad snake phobia (even stranger, frogs too). Once the garden gets going, she usually won't venture out there much. We're talking Garter snakes and an occasional Brown snake which are about the size of a pencil. I don't know what she would do if she ever saw a blue racer lol. I'm just the opposite. When I was a kid I would spend days looking for them. I used to lay plywood out in grassy areas and check under them every morning. Worked like charm on garters and an occasional milk snake. Drove my parents insane LOL.

#14 ·
When I was 10 years old, 4 teens held me down and put a Garter snake inside my shirt which proceeded to bite the daylights out of me. My older brother heard my screaming and beat the crap out of all four of them. Ever since, I have had a phobia about snakes and for the longest time I couldn't even watch them on tv. Had to leave the room. They simply terrified me. I've progressed to where I can now look at them on tv or in pictures such as yours but if I see one in the wild, I usually freak.

#19 ·
That is the first picture I have seen of a Pine Snake. I have heard that they love to hang out in the rafters of outhouses and tickle your neck as you settling in there to relax! The thought of it just sends chills up my neck and puckers things up!
I do appreciate the photo so that I can properly identify one

#20 ·
That is the first picture I have seen of a Pine Snake. I have heard that they love to hang out in the rafters of outhouses and tickle your neck as you settling in there to relax! The thought of it just sends chills up my neck and puckers things up!
I do appreciate the photo so that I can properly identify one
Probably doesn't take long to take care of business when that happens. :D

#22 ·
I have always loved snakes. When I was in school we did a study for psychology class. Put a large rubber snake on the center line of a road and then hid and observed. I think it was around one in 9 cars that intentionally swerved to hit the snake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I did a similar study on my own when I was about ten. Also with a rubber snake. I thought it was hilarious to hide it around the house in cupboards and closets. The best one was under my mothers pillow...never saw that rubber snake again.

#23 ·
I was pulling the boat yesterday and saw a northern water snake about four feet long sitting in the shallows at the ramp. I tried hard to catch him for almost 10 minutes so I could take him home and scare my wife. He got away everytime and even stopped to eat a baby blue gill in front of me (probably laughing at me). I'd already put my wallet in my pocket of I'd have showed him who was boss!

I haven't tried to catch a snake in the water in many years, it was fun and would have made a good uTube.

#25 ·
"According to the Audubon society the turkeys are doing a number on the snake population in Michigan."

No kidding?
I hadn't heard that before.
Do you have an article or a link on it.....I'd love to read more about that phenomena. It certainly sounds plausible.

………………….……………………………………………….

Speaking of 'Audubon' insights, I read (please don't ask for a link, I can't remember when or where)….but I read that with the demise of the ash tree due to emerald ash borer, well, it has spurred a population boom in woodpeckers. Counts are coming in higher than in memory.

"In nature's infinite book of secrecy...…"

#31 ·
I hafta admit it …..blue racers startle me whenever I suddenly see 'em up close.

When I see any other snake I'm more curious than startled, but racers give me pause. They always seem formidable.....as if I'm the one trespassing on his land and he's somewhat PO'd about it.

It may just be my imagination.

BTW, Cakbker -----a live 6ft blue racer would give me a whole lot of pause.

#35 ·
I hafta admit it …..blue racers startle me whenever I suddenly see 'em up close.
I have not seen one since I was a young kid. I will never forget it. I reached for what I thought was an old bicycle tire laying in a small junk pile. I took a big step back when the bike tire took off LOL.

This guy was in the parking lot at work. Wayne Co
Your third pic is a Brown snake. I stop for them while mowing my yard all the time. About the size of a pencil, cool little guys.

#32 ·
For me it’s not really the snake itself, it’s more not knowing where they are and then suddenly finding out that I don’t like! When I see them in the wild, I force myself to get close enough for a pic!

Ecoregion Snake Vertebrate Reptile Organism

Here’s a pair of blue racers at the beginning of May. Lake Co

Plant Twig Wood Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

Garter snake on a warm day in February. Monroe Co

Reptile Scaled reptile Snake Terrestrial animal Tail

This guy was in the parking lot at work. Wayne Co

Plant Twig Wood Groundcover Grass

Turkey season a couple years ago. Lake Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#37 ·
As a kid growing up and playing in the mountains of W.Va., I learned to respect snakes at an early age. Lost a dog to a rattle snake bite at the age of ten, a couple more got hit but survived. I was first bit at the age of seventeen, three more bites since then. All Copperhead's. First struck by a rattle snake in my forties, (thank god for a wife whom insisted that I purchase chaps). Two years ago stepped on a thirty eight inch copperhead late one evening while camping, no strike though. Non poisonous snakes get a pass, so long as they are willing to go on their way. When I encounter the poisonous variety, well then it is game on. To date the largest oe I have encountered was a fifty three inch Rattler. She had 18 rattlers. If she had of nailed me, doubtful I would have survived.

#38 ·
Well, the Pine Snakes are definitely out and about in Dickinson County. Last week one of them emerged from the lean-to of the barn. Knowing that Elaine isn't real fond of them, I kind of scooted him towards a firewood pile on the other side of the lawn and hoped he would take the hint.

I had purchased some snake repellent over the winter in hopes that maybe these reptiles would take up residence someplace else. I poured an ample amount of it in the 2 places we know they like to escape to...

like the corner of the lean-to wall where they have been able to either go down under the concrete or up under the corner steel surrounding a post.

Apparently, this stuff is an attractant rather than a repellent as we saw the snakes just curled up with the granules - no worse for the wear.

Today, 2 of them were snuggling one another on the other side of the barn. Even though I like having them around for their ability to consume ticks and voles....I thought it was best to just relocate these so Elaine didn't have to see them anymore.

I got a plastic trash can out and caught one of them and took him for a ride on the Gator:

I tipped the trash can over next to one of the many rock piles we have around our food plots - this one is about two 40's north of the barn.
The snake exited the trash can and scooted right into the rocks...

When I got back to the barn, I found that the smaller female snake had come back out and I was able to catch her as well. Before I could get the trash can loaded back onto the Gator, Elaine informed me that there was another one on the other side of the barn. I was able to catch him as well and took both of them for a ride to the same rock pile. They both scooted into the rocks just like the first one.

This afternoon while walking out to the garden, I noticed that there were 2 more Piney's in the lean-to. I was able to catch the larger one but the smaller one crawled up into the wall and got away. I actually had to catch number 4 three times as he kept getting out of the trash can before I could get the lid on it. Unlike the first 3 snakes, #4 crawled out of the trash can and back-tracked into the grass like he was headed back to the barn immediately. Hope it takes him a while to find us again.

Unbelieveably, Elaine saw another one come down the corner pole and crawl into the lean-to shortly after I got back from relocating number 4. I was able to catch him and took him for a ride as well. He scooted right into the rock pile when he got out of the trash can.

I know we still have at least one more - the smallest of the bunch which was hanging out with number 4. Hopefully I can catch and relocate her tomorrow.

I also saw a dead Pine Snake on the county road on my way into town this morning so this hot weather has definitely got them moving...

#123 ·
Well, the Pine Snakes are definitely out and about in Dickinson County. Last week one of them emerged from the lean-to of the barn. Knowing that Elaine isn't real fond of them, I kind of scooted him towards a firewood pile on the other side of the lawn and hoped he would take the hint.
Maybe grow some Lemongrass in pots indoors and bring them out in the spring. I hear Lemongrass repels snakes. Probably not Pine-snakes though eh? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.