Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
161 - 180 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
OK, time for a story but on a different subject, sure hate to do that on this forum! :giggle: A buddy worked at a Gravel Pit that had a lot of big Snapping Turtles in the ditches. He would find them and put them in a big trash barrel. He would take them to his stream that had running water and a ton of water grass growing in it. He would cable the Snappers from the shell to a steel pole driven into the bank. He would keep them there for a few weeks feeding them clean stuff before butchering them. In order to be able to see where the very mad 24" Snappers are he would spray paint the shell with orange paint. One got loose and headed back to the pit 10 miles as the crow flies. That path went directly through another's friend property that was a large acreage cash cropper. Our friends mother was out hanging laundry when the orange Snapper crossed her path. She goes running into the barn yelling at her son. " Bill, I told you that you were using to much spray".
Ok, if we are getting slightly off topic, slightly on topic, I have a fun one….I mined sand off my place the first few years after I bought it to help pay for it and a few things….well, one day the sand was heading for a city sewer project. Mine operator knew one of the workers was deathly afraid of snakes…just finished loading a truck and saw a 5’ blue racer come across the pile….held up the truck driver and swung the loader around and scooped up the snake and a little sand and put it in the truck…..well, the truck arrives and starts dumping the sand in the trench and lo and behold the snake is riding on top of the flowing sand…..the worker in the trench (deathly afraid of snakes) runs the opposite way, out the other end of the trench, screaming and last thing you hear is “I’ll see you tomorrow, I’m out of here!!!”

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Osceola, nice picture. Years ago, my parents owned property in Livingston County. We saw Blue Racers there from time to time. In almost 28 years of property ownership in Hillsdale County, I never saw a Blue Racer, only Garter Snakes and the occasional Milk Snake.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Osceola, nice picture. Years ago, my parents owned property in Livingston County. We saw Blue Racers there from time to time. In almost 28 years of property ownership in Hillsdale County, I never saw a Blue Racer, only Garter Snakes and the occasional Milk Snake.
I seem to have pretty good habitat for them in my old-field areas. I see them quite a bit on rock piles too.
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Shrub

Snake Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Grass

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I thought #7 was going to be it for yesterday but around dinner time Elaine went out to the garden to pick asparagus and found a couple more that appeared to be engaging in lewd and lascivious behavior. One of them (not sure if it was him or her) was biting the other around the neck which seems to be a common behavior I have seen demonstrated before.

Anyway - they were so preoccupied I was able to easily catch both of them with one hand. Numbers 8 and 9 for the year.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Iguania Wall

Snake Scaled reptile Reptile Serpent Python

We were preparing dinner (Buffalo Inside Tenderloin) and didn't want to take the time to take them for a ride at the moment so rather than putting the lid on the trash can I set a hardware cloth screen over the pail so they could enjoy breathing until they got a ride later. :D

Cup Drinkware Grass Wood Gas

BTW - The loin roast turned out perfectly!

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Animal product

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Haven't painted any yet this year FM. Elaine has been taking them for a long....long ride so I can't imagine any of them coming back this far.

Those that I painted last year have no doubt shed those skins by now?
I thought snakes shed a couple times a year but a fast google search says 3 to 6 times a year.

You have to have some duplicates, you have to. Nine already this year and how many were relocated last year? With each and every one of them appearing in the immediate vicinity of Casa del Solitario Roble, how many serpents per acre would that be? Another statistic that some might find interesting would be, using your best guestimate, how much total footage of slithering beast has been relocated to date?

What on earth have you done in the last couple years to attract that much beady-eyed, forked-tongued, attention🐍? Are you applying or storing a new chemical around the structures that is acting like sort of snake hormone? If so, there is no telling how far they might be willing to travel and return for some (more) nooky! FM

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I thought snakes shed a couple times a year but a fast google search says 3 to 6 times a year.

You have to have some duplicates, you have to. Nine already this year and how many were relocated last year? With each and every one of them appearing in the immediate vicinity of Casa del Solitario Roble, how many serpents per acre would that be? Another statistic that some might find interesting would be, using your best guestimate, how much total footage of slithering beast has been relocated to date?

What on earth have you done in the last couple years to attract that much beady-eyed, forked-tongued, attention🐍? Are you applying or storing a new chemical around the structures that is acting like sort of snake hormone? If so, there is no telling how far they might be willing to travel and return for some (more) nooky! FM
We have always had them around and I have always tolerated them because I know they like to eat ticks and rodents...but the past couple of years their numbers have exploded as you say. We relocated 58 last year and 9 so far this year.

May have to contact the County Animal Control and see if they have any recommendations. They certainly are not endangered or even threatened around here. But...with the price of gas lately, it is getting costly taking them for a ride - even in the Can Am.

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
I thought #7 was going to be it for yesterday but around dinner time Elaine went out to the garden to pick asparagus and found a couple more that appeared to be engaging in lewd and lascivious behavior. One of them (not sure if it was him or her) was biting the other around the neck which seems to be a common behavior I have seen demonstrated before.

Anyway - they were so preoccupied I was able to easily catch both of them with one hand. Numbers 8 and 9 for the year.

View attachment 836881

View attachment 836882

We were preparing dinner (Buffalo Inside Tenderloin) and didn't want to take the time to take them for a ride at the moment so rather than putting the lid on the trash can I set a hardware cloth screen over the pail so they could enjoy breathing until they got a ride later. :D

View attachment 836883

BTW - The loin roast turned out perfectly!

View attachment 836885
Frank
That loin is making my mouth water. Man I thought for sure after last year you got that snake problem under control Are they under the barn floor again?

Reactions: Wild Thing
161 - 180 of 255 Posts