141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Spring in the North woods!

Get that gal going on coyote control...
We know she can shoot straight.
Yes - I was thinking we should get out and try to thin out the coyotes a little since fawns will be dropping soon.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Snakes might keep the rabbits at bay…

btw did you happen to see any “coming home” last fall? The amount you collected last spring seemed like they had congregated on/in your buildings for winter.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 · (Edited)
Maybe them porkies eat ticks. :whistle:
Had never heard that rumor ML. I know the rumor that possums eat ticks has been debunked. I do know that porkies can wreak havoc on maple trees though - we've seen evidence of it many times.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Snakes might keep the rabbits at bay…

btw did you happen to see any “coming home” last fall? The amount you collected last spring seemed like they had congregated on/in your buildings for winter.
Never saw any of them that we relocated last year return...and least none of them that I painted came back. Not sure how far they migrate but the first dozen or so I only moved about 1/2 mile away. After that they were taken a full mile away to our extreme north end. All the babies were taken further than that - not even close to our property.

The majority of them did come from under the concrete in our barn but after we caught what we thought was all of them, I closed off those avenues of ingress/egress.

·
Registered
21,943 Posts
Yes - I was thinking we should get out and try to thin out the coyotes a little since fawns will be dropping soon.
I should too.

I've called doe in with a fawn distress call.
Man is that loud!
Should have great range to get a yote to perk thier ears.
And this is probably the best time of year to imitate a fawn.
If I came up with a decoy that would help.
White piece of rag on a limber sapling and some fishline maybe... My luck I'd trip a doe or get the line broken by one.

Might even get a bear to show up at your place.
If you call in a snake though , I didn't have anything to do with the idea!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Never saw any of them that we relocated last year return...and least none of them that I painted came back. Not sure how far they migrate but the first dozen or so I only moved about 1/2 mile away. After that they were taken a full mile away to our extreme north end. All the babies were taken further than that - not even close to our property.

The majority of them did come from under the concrete in our barn but after we caught what we thought was all of them, I closed off those avenues of ingress/egress.
Exclusion should help reduce the hibernating population

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Had another one show up in the lean-to yesterday - a big fat one. Elaine gave him a ride also...yep to the neighbors place - the one that shot "Her Deer" last year 😀 I am beginning to wonder if maybe we aren't getting all these snakes from the neighbors who think we shot "Their Deer" - LOL

Snake Reptile Python Viper Scaled reptile

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Had another one show up in the lean-to yesterday - a big fat one. Elaine gave him a ride also...yep to the neighbors place - the one that shot "Her Deer" last year 😀 I am beginning to wonder if maybe we aren't getting all these snakes from the neighbors who think we shot "Their Deer" - LOL

View attachment 832527
Start painting 'em up earlier this year. Maybe use blue so if they beat Elaine back to the ranch we can call them 'blue racers" :hide: ;) FM

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Start painting 'em up earlier this year. Maybe use blue so if they beat Elaine back to the ranch we can call them 'blue racers" :hide: ;) FM
LOL - Great idea FM!

I painted a few of em last year and haven't seen them back here yet...of course maybe they shed their skins since I colored them up? 😀

Revolver Plant Wood Tool Grass

Plant community Plant Road surface Vegetation Watercourse

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Elaine found a couple more lingering around the barn this afternoon. Numbers 3 and 4 for this year...

Yep....they went for a ride too.

Automotive tire Natural material Terrestrial plant Wood Circle

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Haven't seen a pine snake here yet, but I think we have the same thing going on with garter snakes in our garage right now. They are everywhere! Took 6 of them to the back of the property today, after the wife sent me on a snake hunt when one dropped down off the garage door and brushed against her on the way down 🤣.

LOL - I'll bet she just loved that!

I understand that @mike hartges is beginning to see some Pine Snakes at his new place in Menonminee County. They really don't appear to be endangered or even "threatened" in our area of the U.P. for sure. Still, they are protected by law so we just have to deal with taking them for a ride when they become a nuisance.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
LOL - Great idea FM!

I painted a few of em last year and haven't seen them back here yet...of course maybe they shed their skins since I colored them up? 😀

View attachment 832532

View attachment 832533
OK, time for a story but on a different subject, sure hate to do that on this forum! :giggle: A buddy worked at a Gravel Pit that had a lot of big Snapping Turtles in the ditches. He would find them and put them in a big trash barrel. He would take them to his stream that had running water and a ton of water grass growing in it. He would cable the Snappers from the shell to a steel pole driven into the bank. He would keep them there for a few weeks feeding them clean stuff before butchering them. In order to be able to see where the very mad 24" Snappers are he would spray paint the shell with orange paint. One got loose and headed back to the pit 10 miles as the crow flies. That path went directly through another's friend property that was a large acreage cash cropper. Our friends mother was out hanging laundry when the orange Snapper crossed her path. She goes running into the barn yelling at her son. " Bill, I told you that you were using to much spray".

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
LOL - Funny!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
LOL - I'll bet she just loved that!

I understand that @mike hartges is beginning to see some Pine Snakes at his new place in Menonminee County. They really don't appear to be endangered or even "threatened" in our area of the U.P. for sure. Still, they are protected by law so we just have to deal with taking them for a ride when they become a nuisance.
She wasn’t thrilled about it, thats for sure! Snakes don't bother me, and normally she doesnt mind them either. But apparently when they start dive bombing her at the garage entrance thats where she draws the line, 🤣. I’d love to see a pine snake up close, just not in the capacity you have there, lol.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes, indeed, Frank. I've seen 4 pine snakes at my place in Menominee County in the past week. I've also seen several garter snakes. The biggest pine snake I saw was about 4 feet long. My brother, that lives a few miles from me, has found many 5 foot pine snake skins that were shed in his barn.

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Oh yeah. I’ve caught a lot of them that were over 5’.

Reactions: mike hartges
141 - 160 of 201 Posts