Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Well, the Pine Snakes are definitely out and about in Dickinson County. Last week one of them emerged from the lean-to of the barn. Knowing that Elaine isn't real fond of them, I kind of scooted him towards a firewood pile on the other side of the lawn and hoped he would take the hint.
Maybe grow some Lemongrass in pots indoors and bring them out in the spring. I hear Lemongrass repels snakes. Probably not Pine-snakes though eh? lol

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Maybe grow some Lemongrass in pots indoors and bring them out in the spring. I hear Lemongrass repels snakes. Probably not Pine-snakes though eh? lol
With my luck? Probably not.

I think we may have the end in sight. We had not seen a snake in 2 weeks so I was thinking maybe they had all moved out from under the barn concrete by now. I took the opportunity to spray some "Great Stuff" expanding foam where we have seen a lot of them. While it was expanding and doing its thing I was busy doing other things in the barn. I was almost shocked when I came out and saw a little Pine snake near the corner where I had just sprayed the foam. # 24 this year.

I caught him and took him for a ride. It was a small one - maybe 2 /12 - 3 feet long. I didn't bother spray painting him.

He was reluctant to come out of the trash can so I had to actually dump him out of it...

Upon closer inspection, I could see that it appeared to be hollow under the side walk as well so I used up the rest of the can of foam to fill in that area. Of course, it all expanded up 8-10 inches high so I just cut it off at ground level and leveled everything out with a little top soil.

There is no way a snake is coming in or getting out of that area now. Hopefully they all got out and are gone. Will let you know if #25 shows up but I have my fingers crossed that we may be done seeing them around the barn for this year at least.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Well...I thought I had seen the last of the Pine Snakes around here after I sealed up their den entrance under the barn with Great Stuff Foam. What I didn't think about was maybe some new snakes hatching down there...

About 3 weeks ago I noticed several young snakes peeking their heads up from this little crack where the concrete is beginning to separate from the barn. Trouble is - there was nothing to grab onto to catch them. I got the hose out and tried flushing them out but was only able to get one. The water was flushing them down instead of up...

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey

Then I thought maybe I could suck them up into the shop vac so I went to Plan B...

Lawn mower Mower Vacuum cleaner Automotive tire Plant

Sure enough - the shop vac worked like a charm. I was busy doing other things so I turned the project over to Elaine who proceeded to catch 34 more baby Pine Snakes over the next few days...

Automotive tire Fluid Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

She wasn't comfortable releasing any more snakes on our property so she loaded them up in the side by side and took them for a ride no less than a mile in either direction to release them.

Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Gas Circle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood

Water Automotive tire Tread Fluid Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Clock Automotive wheel system Circle Watch

Automotive tire Manhole Water Fluid Road surface

Have not seen another snake in 3 weeks now so hopefully we are done with them (although I'm not real confident of that 😩).

Obviously, I have some concrete work to do next year...

Total snakes captured and relocated for the year....58.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Yup - I couldn't get her to grab any of the big ones with her hands but she didn't have any problem at all scooping those youngsters up with the shop vac. LOL

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Pine snake junction signage needed there... :unsure:
Yep - We are a ways from Pine Stump Junction in Luce county so I could probably get away with it :D

Reactions: Waif

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
How do you get your wife to vacuum inside and outside haha
LOL - She wanted the snakes gone and I didn't have time to keep checking on them so she just took it upon herself to keep vacuuming them up on her way to and from her garden :D

Reactions: brewster

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Found another dead Green Snake yesterday??

We don't see many of these snakes but this is the second one that has shown up dead this year. This one had its head stuck into a hole in the lawn - maybe 1 1/2" or so??

Plant Grass Groundcover Tail Scaled reptile

Not sure if maybe Elaine ran over it with the lawnmower?

Plant People in nature Gesture Grass Terrestrial plant

Found the other one on the blacktop driveway??

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Premium Member
9,709 Posts
Found another dead Green Snake yesterday??

We don't see many of these snakes but this is the second one that has shown up dead this year. This one had its head stuck into a hole in the lawn - maybe 1 1/2" or so??

View attachment 789089

Not sure if maybe Elaine ran over it with the lawnmower?

View attachment 789090

Found the other one on the blacktop driveway??
Last 2 pics are my favorite..lol

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Oh No!! They're Baaaaaaaack. Elaine found one hanging out on her workbench in the lean-to this morning.

A pretty big one!

Organism Scaled reptile Road surface Reptile Asphalt

He was on the shelf looking the other way so he was easy to catch. She is taking him for a ride as we speak. Not releasing them on our property anymore in case they are finding they're way back to the barn. She said this one is going for a long ride this morning....said something about leaving it by "the neighbor that shot "Her Buck" last year" - LOL

Hoping this is an isolated drifter but only time will tell.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
I don't think it was a snake - a rabbit more likely, but Elaine set some of her plants (cabbage/lettuce I think) out to harden off yesterday. She had started them 5-6 weeks ago under the grow lights inside. Came back by a couple hours later and found that somebody had eaten almost the entire plant/s. Haven't seen her that pissed in quite some time!

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Compost

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Leaf vegetable Seed

You wouldn't want to be a rabbit around here any time soon because they are definitely on her hit list. She whacked a porky a few days ago that was hugging one of our nice Sugar Maples. Porkies aren't welcome in our sugar bush either.

·
Registered
21,628 Posts
I don't think it was a snake - a rabbit more likely, but Elaine set some her plants (cabbage/lettuce I think) out to harden off yesterday. She had started them 5-6 weeks ago under the grow lights inside. Came back by a couple hours later and found that somebody had eaten almost the entire plant/s. Haven't seen her that pissed in quite some time!

View attachment 831898

View attachment 831899

You wouldn't want to be a rabbit around here any time soon because they are definitely on her hit list. She whacked a porky a few days ago that was hugging one of our nice Sugar Maples. Porkies aren't welcome in our sugar bush either.
Spring in the North woods!

Get that gal going on coyote control...
We know she can shoot straight.

Reactions: Wild Thing
121 - 140 of 150 Posts