Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 201 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,423 Posts
Man WT - that's a lot of snakes!

We're in southern Marquette County not that far from you and have seen a few pine snakes over the years. One summer we had just returned from a multi week trip out west and were checking out our garden and flowers to see how they had fared when a 5 footer slithered away a few feet from us. The absence of humans for a few weeks must have made him comfortable around our home.

One fall I was showing my nephew where my treestand was set up and one about the same size was laid across the trail ahead of us making a loud rattling noise. Apparently pine snakes don't have actual rattles but can rattle their tails as a warning. I heard that sound and instantly realized that I hear that all the time! I just always thought it was some sort of insect like a katydid or cicada type bug, but no - that's a pine snake. Puts a different spin on a walk through the summer woods since then.

And yes, the turtles are on the move too. Have seen them crossing roads and even encountered one on the mountain bike trail last week. Have seen a few dead one on the road too - can't imagine the mentality of someone that would actually try to run one over. Many folks I know have shared how they stop and give them an assist across the road

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Man WT - that's a lot of snakes!

We're in southern Marquette County not that far from you and have seen a few pine snakes over the years. One summer we had just returned from a multi week trip out west and were checking out our garden and flowers to see how they had fared when a 5 footer slithered away a few feet from us. The absence of humans for a few weeks must have made him comfortable around our home.

One fall I was showing my nephew where my treestand was set up and one about the same size was laid across the trail ahead of us making a loud rattling noise. Apparently pine snakes don't have actual rattles but can rattle their tails as a warning. I heard that sound and instantly realized that I hear that all the time! I just always thought it was some sort of insect like a katydid or cicada type bug, but no - that's a pine snake. Puts a different spin on a walk through the summer woods since then.

And yes, the turtles are on the move too. Have seen them crossing roads and even encountered one on the mountain bike trail last week. Have seen a few dead one on the road too - can't imagine the mentality of someone that would actually try to run one over. Many folks I know have shared how they stop and give them an assist across the road

Yes - I did hear a couple of them rattling...and I don't hear all that good. It irks me also that people intentionally run over them on the roads.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Premium Member
13,961 Posts
I see 4

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Took numbers 14, 15 and 16 for rides today. When does it end??

I no sooner got back to the barn when Elaine corralled 2 more of them that were trying to escape to a hole under the barn. Caught both of them and headed back up north on the same one-mile ride. I have relocated the last 10 snakes a full mile from the barn. Hard to believe the same ones are making it back here to be caught again??

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
How many frogs, toads, and small mammals would 16 3'-4' snakes eat? More than you have around the immediate homestead, I would speculate. Get some more paint and find out if you need to move them two miles instead of one. FM
You're starting to sound like Elaine FM 😀 2 or maybe 3 of these snakes have been between 3' - 4' but the majority of them have been between 5' - 6'! And they are all pretty darned fat! I can tell you that they have been eating pretty well.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I had mentioned seeing a Fox Snake near the barn on another thread and Stickbow and Jr were disappointed that I didn't post a photo of it. Well, I saw 2 of them yesterday and did take some pics. These snakes (also called Pine Snakes up here) are fairly common. We have seen many of them that are 5 feet in length. Although they do look somewhat like the Missasauga Rattler they are actually non-venomous and quite harmless. My wife doesn't like the idea of having them around the barn and her garden but they do eat a lot of voles (my apple tree nemesis) and ticks so they are OK in my book:

In reading this link below, I see that Michigan is home to both the Western Fox Snake and the Eastern Fox Snake:

Fox Snake - Snake Facts

I saw this small female working her way along the edge of the barn. When I approached it to get a photo it turned around and went the other way:

View attachment 317346

When I came back a few minutes later I saw that it had hooked up with a larger male at the corner of the lean-to:

View attachment 317347
View attachment 317354
They appeared to be mating:

View attachment 317349

When I returned a few minutes later they had both disappeared but then I noticed that the larger one which had apparently climbed up the corner post inside of the steel, was working his way down under the concrete. I don't want to trap them in there now but I will be filling in this hole come fall:

View attachment 317350

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Saw this one out by the barn last night. I have seen a few of them over the years but have no idea what they are. They are pretty much just gray and black colored.
They are really small compared to the Pine Snakes.

81 - 100 of 201 Posts