Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Frank
That loin is making my mouth water. Man I thought for sure after last year you got that snake problem under control Are they under the barn floor again?
Oh Man Kevin! That meat was super tender and just melted in your mouth. More pics of it on the Venison Thread. VENISON THREAD!

No - I blocked off the entrances to the 2 holes where they were getting under the barn concrete last year so they can not get back in there. They are showing up in those same 2 locations though which leads me to believe that maybe they were born there or somehow have imprinted on those locations from previous years.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Could be JMDH. There were only 2 locations where they were getting under the concrete in the south corners of the barn. They have both been blocked off for nearly a year now but that is exactly where we have been finding the buggers this year as well - just kinda lounging around the area like those in the photo above. One was just on the lawn but still - nearby the one corner.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
You might try a bit of chlorine bleach. It would probably kill the smell they are coming to.
You never know ML - it could work.

Wouldn't be any less effective than this stuff I tried last year - didn't repel anything.

A couple of the snakes I caught were actually laying in this stuff when I caught them.
Automotive tire Gas Font Asphalt Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
Update - Found a couple more mating about 10 days ago...

Numbers 10 & 11 for the year...

Reptile Felidae Scaled reptile Wood Terrestrial animal

The classic "biting" we see during the mating ritual...
Snake Reptile Organism Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Eye Organism Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Grass

We went on vacation for a week so not sure what we missed while we were gone but when we got home Thursday I saw one on the lawn near the cabin. I caught it and put it in the trash can for Elaine to take for a ride. As she was leaving with that one she saw another one by the Sugar Haus. I had already left to go check on my food plots so she decided she would try to catch it herself. Up until then she had only caught the juveniles by sucking them up in the shop vac. She donned her gloves and caught the second one and added him to the trash can...her first catch of an adult snake.
Numbers 12 and 13 for the year....
Automotive tire Scaled reptile Organism Reptile Snake

This is the the new spot where she has been taking them - about 3-4 miles away...
Wood Bedrock Grass Plant Groundcover

Yesterday I caught another small one making its way through the lawn... Number 14...
Organism Terrestrial plant Automotive tire Insect Terrestrial animal

And a little while later Elaine found this one by the barn... he was a little bigger snake and did a lot of rattling when I put him in the trash can.

Number 15 for the year
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Road surface Stairs

Automotive tire Plant Terrestrial plant Gas Natural material

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Frank, it's amazing how many snakes you have at your place. Sounds like Elaine is getting more comfortable dealing with them.
Yes, she is. I was actually surprised when she called me and told me she had caught it. I said - "Pics or it didn't happen", and she provided the photos to prove it. LOL

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Numbers 16 and 17 for the year showed up yesterday...

I don't know what made this guy think he could squeeze himself down through this little crack, but it didn't work. He got stuck and I had to pull like crazy to get him out of there. Last year I actually broke one in half that was stuck. This one eventually came out but I'm not sure he will make it.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Road surface Snake

Eye Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent

You can see his tail has a hard time curling up. The second one was trying to wedge himself under the sidewalk and he got stuck also, although it was easier to back him out.
Aqua Stairs Natural material Gas Pattern

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Numbers 18, 19 and 20 showed up today. Saw number 18 on the sidewalk near the SW corner of the barn this afternoon. Went and retrieved my gloves and trash can and when I got closer I could see # 19 slithering along right next to the barn foundation so I caught him first. While I was after him I noted another smaller snake going in the opposite direction along the edge of the barn as well. He looks a lot like a garter snake but he has a bright green coloration as well so I think it is a Green Snake. I went back and caught number 18 and decided to add the green small (#20) to the mix as well. They all went for a ride together.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Bedrock Grass

Who says 3 is a crowd?
Spiral Natural material Circle Terrestrial plant Pattern

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Looks just like the ones we have been dealing with here. They are garters, some are greenish, some are yellowish. Green snakes are pure bright green with no stripes.
View attachment 841062
OK - Thanks JMDH. I've never seen anything that looks that green before so this one must just be a greenish colored Garter. Learn something new every day....

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
@Wild Thing :
May I ask if you notice any effect on the rodent population around your property?

I can't imagine anything with four legs and fur are making it thru the night with all the snakes you're finding;)
No - It is pretty rare to see a mouse or vole anymore. Voles used to be my number two nemesis (right behind bears) for the damage they did to my apple trees in winter. That is why I tolerated having the snakes around for so many years. So, yes - the snakes have certainly kept their numbers in check, I believe. Unfortunately, now the snake numbers have grown exponentially and they have become a nuisance.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I didn't want to scare him away. ;)

I also didn't want to get too close a picture of that birdsfoot trefoil in case Wild Thing took a look. Might send him in to cardiac arrest. :giggle:
LOL - Yep - I saw the BT all right! I still have an infestation of it that originated with a pasture mix I used when we seeded the hillside around our pond years ago. Can not get rid of it!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts