Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
When I was 10 years old, 4 teens held me down and put a Garter snake inside my shirt which proceeded to bite the daylights out of me. My older brother heard my screaming and beat the crap out of all four of them. Ever since, I have had a phobia about snakes and for the longest time I couldn't even watch them on tv. Had to leave the room. They simply terrified me. I've progressed to where I can now look at them on tv or in pictures such as yours but if I see one in the wild, I usually freak.
Ha! GOOD.
They had their fun and then he had his!
I'm sure all parties learned a lot from the "incident". I like the "equalizer" stories that tell of poetic justice. After the beating, I'll bet they "slithered" away to lick their wounds.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
WT, my wife would move out on me if we had that many snakes around our property! I like to see them, but she practically melts when she does - it's rather funny!
LOL - I hear ya NTCPA. Elaine is normally really cool-headed about just about anything she encounters but she doesn't feel very comfortable around the big snakes. She did help me coral a couple of the snakes that tried to get away before I caught them, but she made it pretty clear that she doesn't want them hanging around close to the house and barn any more.

These Pine Snakes are really heavy and healthy looking so I have to believe they have been eating pretty well. I just hope I don't create a mouse and vole invasion by removing them 😀

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
@Wild Thing, are you painting those things up? Not being overly fond of being surprised by snakes, I used to do that regularly when marking trees. Red, yellow, orange, or bright blue snakes show up a lot better in a pine plantation or early spring hardwoods than those sneaky color patterns Mother Nature gifted them with. By the time they shed their skins I would be long finished marking in the area. FM

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
@Wild Thing, are you painting those things up? Not being overly fond of being surprised by snakes, I used to do that regularly when marking trees. Red, yellow, orange, or bright blue snakes show up a lot better in a pine plantation or early spring hardwoods than those sneaky color patterns Mother Nature gifted them with. By the time they shed their skins I would be long finished marking in the area. FM
Haven't marked any yet FM, but I may if they continue to show up. Didn't want to harm them from the paint and didn't know for sure if it was harmful or not. I do have some tree marking paint available 😀

I also blocked the opening where most of them have been seen at the corner of the lean-to after catching #9. Hopefully that will be it until at least next year.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Had not seen any snakes for a couple of days and was beginning to think maybe I had seen the last of them for a while.... Nope - found #10 in the lean-to this morning. Didn't bother looking for paint to mark him as I was busy with other things so I just took him for a ride up north and released him.

Got back and parked the Gator in the barn...walked out and found another Piney on the sidewalk next to the lean-to. Tossed him in the trash can but this time I did go get some paint so I could mark him.

unfortunately, when I went to get my paint ready to spray him .... I couldn't get any paint out of either can.
Still - hard for me to believe these are the same snakes. The first 6 or 7 I only took a 1/2 mile or so before releasing them but the last several have been dropped almost a mile away. Hopefully these aren't the same snakes.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Almost Unbelievable!! Just took #12 for a ride... Are these things really "Threatened" or "Endangered"??

I've got a batch of buffalo jerky in the smoker which is almost done but I didn't want Ol Piney getting too hot in the trash can so I hurried up and gave him a ride north. Just a little over 1 mile on the odometer of the Gator to the NW corner. Hopefully he stays up there. Looks like the jerky can go a little longer 😀

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
Almost Unbelievable!! Just took #12 for a ride... Are these things really "Threatened" or "Endangered"??

View attachment 771678

View attachment 771679

I've got a batch of buffalo jerky in the smoker which is almost done but I didn't want Ol Piney getting too hot in the trash can so I hurried up and gave him a ride north. Just a little over 1 mile on the odometer of the Gator to the NW corner. Hopefully he stays up there. Looks like the jerky can go a little longer 😀

What's pinesnake Jerry taste like?

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Wildthing- are they easy to handle or do they try to bite. Never handled one before
Fairly easy JP. I wear gloves and then try to sneak up behind them and grab them about mid way or maybe a little forward of that with one hand and then grab the tail end with my other hand. If they try to turn around towards me, I shake the front end to stretch them out again. Of course, I want the trash barrel and lid nearby so I can get them into it quickly. A couple of them have actually been able to get out of the trash can before I could get the lid on it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Believe I seen one of those by my food plot and electric fence box that had mice in it. This year never seen a mouse and seemed like less ticks in that area. Also didn’t see any damage to apple trees in that area either. Groundhog seems to be having fun digging holes in the area. I am sure it will like the soybeans I planted.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My wife’s flower bed is next to our concrete front porch. The porch must have a void in it that ribbon snakes love. I was relocating the snakes about 50yds away in a nice brush pile next to a backyard creek, but due to reproductive pheromones, the snakes would eventually find their way back to the front porch. I now release the snakes in the marsh grass on the other side of the creek & the water barrier I believe has reduced the snakes’ ability to detect reproductive pheromones which has decreased sightings in my wife’s flower bed.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Sounds like you have a hibernaculum under the shed. Or one of those “adult stores” across from the snake “truck stop”...

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Took #13 for a ride yesterday afternoon. This one was really P.O'd. He actually opened his mouth in a threatening manner when I caught him. I only had a hold on him with one hand as I was holding the lid to the trash can with the other and he was able to turn around and strike me. Fortunately, he hit me on my gloved hand so it was no big deal - but it was a little intimidating.

This was the first one I have caught in 7 or 8 days. I did see one other one several days ago but by the time I retrieved my trash can and gloves he disappeared. This guy got the long - 1 mile ride also. Hopefully I won't see him again.

·
Premium Member
14,876 Posts
Words getting out in the snake world. So you can expect many more strikes toward you. Gonna have to get one of those snake catching thing s

61 - 80 of 255 Posts