Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Found another dead Green Snake yesterday??

We don't see many of these snakes but this is the second one that has shown up dead this year. This one had its head stuck into a hole in the lawn - maybe 1 1/2" or so??

Plant Grass Groundcover Tail Scaled reptile

Not sure if maybe Elaine ran over it with the lawnmower?

Plant People in nature Gesture Grass Terrestrial plant

Found the other one on the blacktop driveway??

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Oh No!! They're Baaaaaaaack. Elaine found one hanging out on her workbench in the lean-to this morning.

A pretty big one!

Organism Scaled reptile Road surface Reptile Asphalt

He was on the shelf looking the other way so he was easy to catch. She is taking him for a ride as we speak. Not releasing them on our property anymore in case they are finding they're way back to the barn. She said this one is going for a long ride this morning....said something about leaving it by "the neighbor that shot "Her Buck" last year" - LOL

Hoping this is an isolated drifter but only time will tell.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
I don't think it was a snake - a rabbit more likely, but Elaine set some of her plants (cabbage/lettuce I think) out to harden off yesterday. She had started them 5-6 weeks ago under the grow lights inside. Came back by a couple hours later and found that somebody had eaten almost the entire plant/s. Haven't seen her that pissed in quite some time!

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Compost

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Leaf vegetable Seed

You wouldn't want to be a rabbit around here any time soon because they are definitely on her hit list. She whacked a porky a few days ago that was hugging one of our nice Sugar Maples. Porkies aren't welcome in our sugar bush either.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Snakes might keep the rabbits at bay…

btw did you happen to see any “coming home” last fall? The amount you collected last spring seemed like they had congregated on/in your buildings for winter.
Never saw any of them that we relocated last year return...and least none of them that I painted came back. Not sure how far they migrate but the first dozen or so I only moved about 1/2 mile away. After that they were taken a full mile away to our extreme north end. All the babies were taken further than that - not even close to our property.

The majority of them did come from under the concrete in our barn but after we caught what we thought was all of them, I closed off those avenues of ingress/egress.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Start painting 'em up earlier this year. Maybe use blue so if they beat Elaine back to the ranch we can call them 'blue racers" :hide: ;) FM
LOL - Great idea FM!

I painted a few of em last year and haven't seen them back here yet...of course maybe they shed their skins since I colored them up? 😀

Revolver Plant Wood Tool Grass

Plant community Plant Road surface Vegetation Watercourse

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Haven't seen a pine snake here yet, but I think we have the same thing going on with garter snakes in our garage right now. They are everywhere! Took 6 of them to the back of the property today, after the wife sent me on a snake hunt when one dropped down off the garage door and brushed against her on the way down 🤣.

LOL - I'll bet she just loved that!

I understand that @mike hartges is beginning to see some Pine Snakes at his new place in Menonminee County. They really don't appear to be endangered or even "threatened" in our area of the U.P. for sure. Still, they are protected by law so we just have to deal with taking them for a ride when they become a nuisance.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I thought #7 was going to be it for yesterday but around dinner time Elaine went out to the garden to pick asparagus and found a couple more that appeared to be engaging in lewd and lascivious behavior. One of them (not sure if it was him or her) was biting the other around the neck which seems to be a common behavior I have seen demonstrated before.

Anyway - they were so preoccupied I was able to easily catch both of them with one hand. Numbers 8 and 9 for the year.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Iguania Wall

Snake Scaled reptile Reptile Serpent Python

We were preparing dinner (Buffalo Inside Tenderloin) and didn't want to take the time to take them for a ride at the moment so rather than putting the lid on the trash can I set a hardware cloth screen over the pail so they could enjoy breathing until they got a ride later. :D

Cup Drinkware Grass Wood Gas

BTW - The loin roast turned out perfectly!

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Animal product

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
I thought snakes shed a couple times a year but a fast google search says 3 to 6 times a year.

You have to have some duplicates, you have to. Nine already this year and how many were relocated last year? With each and every one of them appearing in the immediate vicinity of Casa del Solitario Roble, how many serpents per acre would that be? Another statistic that some might find interesting would be, using your best guestimate, how much total footage of slithering beast has been relocated to date?

What on earth have you done in the last couple years to attract that much beady-eyed, forked-tongued, attention🐍? Are you applying or storing a new chemical around the structures that is acting like sort of snake hormone? If so, there is no telling how far they might be willing to travel and return for some (more) nooky! FM
We have always had them around and I have always tolerated them because I know they like to eat ticks and rodents...but the past couple of years their numbers have exploded as you say. We relocated 58 last year and 9 so far this year.

May have to contact the County Animal Control and see if they have any recommendations. They certainly are not endangered or even threatened around here. But...with the price of gas lately, it is getting costly taking them for a ride - even in the Can Am.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts