Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well...Numbers 7 & 8 were waiting for us when we got home from church! Fornicating by the wood shed:

I told you we had seen some "rutting" activity @Dish7 😀 By the time I got my gloves and trash can they had moved some and the male had the females' head in his mouth. Since they were somewhat distracted, I was able to grab both of them at once...

Catching 8 snakes in a little over 24 hours is making me somewhat suspicious. We are thinking we may have to start marking them with orange paint in order to either prove or disprove @Forest Meister 's theory of these rascals beating me back to the barn after I drop them off.

I thought it may be getting a little crowded in that rock pile where I left the first 6 snakes so these 2 went all the way up to the far NW corner of our property. Hopefully they can start a new family up in that neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
13,204 Posts
Ran into a few Puff Adders and thought they were rattle snakes...Scared the bee Jesus ought of me. The only thing missing was the rattle of the tail.
All North American poisonous snakes (except the coral snake) have arrowhead shaped heads. That's the most reliable way to identify one that might hurt you. I grew up around em and even had a pet rattler when I was a teenager. Snakes are cool except moccasins. They're mean as snake **** and should be shot on sight!

·
Premium Member
13,515 Posts
Those pine-snake pics show a pretty animal.
Thanx for sharing.
-------------------------------------------------

I wanna go back up in the thread ---about those posters who moved a turtle out of the highway.

So lemme tell this story:

Driving through Lowell, Michigan, a couple of years ago on M-21 as it crossed the Flat River in downtown Lowell.

An oncoming pick-up suddenly stopped in the road and the driver emerged. There were a couple of cars ahead of me so I couldn't see what was going on ahead. But shortly that truck driver showed up on the side of M-21 with a rather large turtle in his hand and he walked it over to the downslope leading to the river. He walked backed to his truck......and got a chorus of honks and thumbs-up from a half-dozen or more drivers.

A nice moment.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’ve seen a few pine snakes in Iron county on our family fishing trip in July. Coolest one was out in the middle of the lake just swimming along.
Grandpa told a story of an old shack of a deer camp with buddies. The guys started a fire and started playing cards when all of a sudden a 5ft pine snake fell from the rafters, hit the card table and send everyone out of the camp. Fire must have warmed him up enough to get moving lol.

41 - 60 of 255 Posts