Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Wildthing- are they easy to handle or do they try to bite. Never handled one before
Fairly easy JP. I wear gloves and then try to sneak up behind them and grab them about mid way or maybe a little forward of that with one hand and then grab the tail end with my other hand. If they try to turn around towards me, I shake the front end to stretch them out again. Of course, I want the trash barrel and lid nearby so I can get them into it quickly. A couple of them have actually been able to get out of the trash can before I could get the lid on it.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Took #13 for a ride yesterday afternoon. This one was really P.O'd. He actually opened his mouth in a threatening manner when I caught him. I only had a hold on him with one hand as I was holding the lid to the trash can with the other and he was able to turn around and strike me. Fortunately, he hit me on my gloved hand so it was no big deal - but it was a little intimidating.

This was the first one I have caught in 7 or 8 days. I did see one other one several days ago but by the time I retrieved my trash can and gloves he disappeared. This guy got the long - 1 mile ride also. Hopefully I won't see him again.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Man WT - that's a lot of snakes!

We're in southern Marquette County not that far from you and have seen a few pine snakes over the years. One summer we had just returned from a multi week trip out west and were checking out our garden and flowers to see how they had fared when a 5 footer slithered away a few feet from us. The absence of humans for a few weeks must have made him comfortable around our home.

One fall I was showing my nephew where my treestand was set up and one about the same size was laid across the trail ahead of us making a loud rattling noise. Apparently pine snakes don't have actual rattles but can rattle their tails as a warning. I heard that sound and instantly realized that I hear that all the time! I just always thought it was some sort of insect like a katydid or cicada type bug, but no - that's a pine snake. Puts a different spin on a walk through the summer woods since then.

And yes, the turtles are on the move too. Have seen them crossing roads and even encountered one on the mountain bike trail last week. Have seen a few dead one on the road too - can't imagine the mentality of someone that would actually try to run one over. Many folks I know have shared how they stop and give them an assist across the road

Yes - I did hear a couple of them rattling...and I don't hear all that good. It irks me also that people intentionally run over them on the roads.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Took numbers 14, 15 and 16 for rides today. When does it end??

I no sooner got back to the barn when Elaine corralled 2 more of them that were trying to escape to a hole under the barn. Caught both of them and headed back up north on the same one-mile ride. I have relocated the last 10 snakes a full mile from the barn. Hard to believe the same ones are making it back here to be caught again??

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
How many frogs, toads, and small mammals would 16 3'-4' snakes eat? More than you have around the immediate homestead, I would speculate. Get some more paint and find out if you need to move them two miles instead of one. FM
You're starting to sound like Elaine FM 😀 2 or maybe 3 of these snakes have been between 3' - 4' but the majority of them have been between 5' - 6'! And they are all pretty darned fat! I can tell you that they have been eating pretty well.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Saw this one out by the barn last night. I have seen a few of them over the years but have no idea what they are. They are pretty much just gray and black colored.
They are really small compared to the Pine Snakes.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Took numbers 18 & 19 for a ride yesterday. Actually, I was on my way into town for an appointment so I just caught them and Elaine took them for a ride 😀 Didn't have time to paint them and there was no way Elaine was going to try. I don't really believe these are the same snakes I am catching but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Here is where they are coming from...

Since I blocked the opening on the opposite corner of the barn, almost all of the snakes have been seen coming out of or going into this hole.
I picked up some Great Stuff expanding foam and will try to block this hole in another week or two. Hoping all or most of them will have moved out of there by then.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Maybe you have a neighbor that gives these snakes a ride too...and drops them off at your place, lol.
Could be. Will have to keep watch for that 😀

Number 20 went for a ride today - not a very big one but he was P.O'd - kept rattling his tail.

Elaine saw #21 but he got down the hole before I got there to get him.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Enough is enough already, we gota know how many of those aggressive mouse eaters you have!

Kingsford is just around the corner from you. Stop in at Nelson Paint Tree Marking Paint & Equipment Enamel - Nelson Paint Company and pony up some hard earned cash for a forester's paint gun, an extra BLACK nozzle, and a couple quarts of tree marking paint. The paint gun will allow you to stand back 7' or more and still turn the rear end of your snake any of about 10 colors.

If you go that route DO NOT purchase the cheapest model, the barrel and intake tube are plastic and very prone to breaking when needed most (another "don't ask me how I know"). Even the mid range gun will last a lifetime and beyond. I have a gun that belonged to a forester whose first career was in research with MSU at a field station and after retiring he became a consultant. The gun came into my possession over 25 years ago when his wife made him quit at age 82 (he lived past 100).

A paint gun is not as convenient for a grab and go job as is aerosol paint, but for marking trails, freshening lines, designating trees to cut or ones that need to be left during a harvest, that big rock we keep forgetting about, etc. it is much, much more efficient.

Oh, almost forgot, they are also effective for marking porcupine tails, and being as how a person can stand back several feet further than if using aerosol, they are much safer too. FM
As a matter of fact FM...I stopped in at Nelson Paint when I was in town on Friday and picked up some more paint (and nozzles for the cans that didn't work anymore). I do have the small spay attachment for my aerosol tree marking paint so maybe I can give that a try first. I know the backpack sprayer that my forester uses (and probably you too) works great for marking lots of trees but I don't usually have to mark that many.

I chatted with a forester who was also buying paint at Nelson's about our snake issue. He said I may very well have a "Snake Hibernaculum" (link below) under the concrete in my barn. If so - he said there may be 50-100 snakes under there. He said they are usually all out by mid-summer and that would be a good time to try to block the entrance to keep them out of there.

HIBERNACULUMhttp://individual.utoronto.ca › ali_naqvi › Hibernaculum

No need to mark porcupine tails here. They aren't protected by law and I don't like them chewing on my Sugar Maples (or hunting blinds) - remember we produce syrup here also. Porkies get a ride only to the nearest opening where I deposit them belly up so that the avian birds of prey can consume some protein. 😀

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
#21....Found him hanging out in the lean-to of the barn when I drove the tractor around to hook up to my cyclone spreader...

He got the one mile ride also....and he also got some orange paint on him when I released him. I don't think he will show up again but I should be able to recognize him if he does.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
I have to say that they are a beautiful snake. They must be keeping your tree girdling voles in check?
I do believe they have been keeping the voles in check Dish. We had a dozen apple trees severely girdled (lost 6 of them) several years ago but (knock wood) none since. Of course, we use screen and hardware cloth now rather than tarpaper wrap to protect the trees better, but I really haven't seen many voles or evidence of them in recent years either.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Took numbers 22 & 23 for a ride yesterday.

Forgot to get a pic of #23 but I guess it doesn’t matter - he looked pretty much the same as the other 22.

Both of them got a paint job when I released them.

Blue for #22…

#23 came out of the trash can like he was shot out of a cannon. Took me 3 shots but he finally went away wearing red. Too bad I didn’t paint number 21 white - we could have had red, white and blue snakes for the Independence Day holiday.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Maybe grow some Lemongrass in pots indoors and bring them out in the spring. I hear Lemongrass repels snakes. Probably not Pine-snakes though eh? lol
With my luck? Probably not.

I think we may have the end in sight. We had not seen a snake in 2 weeks so I was thinking maybe they had all moved out from under the barn concrete by now. I took the opportunity to spray some "Great Stuff" expanding foam where we have seen a lot of them. While it was expanding and doing its thing I was busy doing other things in the barn. I was almost shocked when I came out and saw a little Pine snake near the corner where I had just sprayed the foam. # 24 this year.

I caught him and took him for a ride. It was a small one - maybe 2 /12 - 3 feet long. I didn't bother spray painting him.

He was reluctant to come out of the trash can so I had to actually dump him out of it...

Upon closer inspection, I could see that it appeared to be hollow under the side walk as well so I used up the rest of the can of foam to fill in that area. Of course, it all expanded up 8-10 inches high so I just cut it off at ground level and leveled everything out with a little top soil.

There is no way a snake is coming in or getting out of that area now. Hopefully they all got out and are gone. Will let you know if #25 shows up but I have my fingers crossed that we may be done seeing them around the barn for this year at least.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Well...I thought I had seen the last of the Pine Snakes around here after I sealed up their den entrance under the barn with Great Stuff Foam. What I didn't think about was maybe some new snakes hatching down there...

About 3 weeks ago I noticed several young snakes peeking their heads up from this little crack where the concrete is beginning to separate from the barn. Trouble is - there was nothing to grab onto to catch them. I got the hose out and tried flushing them out but was only able to get one. The water was flushing them down instead of up...

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Grey

Then I thought maybe I could suck them up into the shop vac so I went to Plan B...

Lawn mower Mower Vacuum cleaner Automotive tire Plant

Sure enough - the shop vac worked like a charm. I was busy doing other things so I turned the project over to Elaine who proceeded to catch 34 more baby Pine Snakes over the next few days...

Automotive tire Fluid Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

She wasn't comfortable releasing any more snakes on our property so she loaded them up in the side by side and took them for a ride no less than a mile in either direction to release them.

Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Gas Circle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood

Water Automotive tire Tread Fluid Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Clock Automotive wheel system Circle Watch

Automotive tire Manhole Water Fluid Road surface

Have not seen another snake in 3 weeks now so hopefully we are done with them (although I'm not real confident of that 😩).

Obviously, I have some concrete work to do next year...

Total snakes captured and relocated for the year....58.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts