Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I seem to be in the right place in the state for blue racers. I see three or four every summer.
People see an occasional one around here. I'm told blue racers were way more common here at one time. I also now live in an area that supposedly massasauga rattlesnakes were less than rare back in the day. To the point that I have been asked if I see them around my property. Not yet, but always looking, lol.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
People see an occasional one around here. I'm told blue racers were way more common here at one time. I also now live in an area that supposedly massasauga rattlesnakes were less than rare back in the day. To the point that I have been asked if I see them around my property. Not yet, but always looking, lol.
Back in 4th grade I use to go out at lunch time take my lunch pale and fill it with grass and a few blue racers.
Boy was mom surprised :)

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
Snakes are one fear I can't conquer
Blue racers are a pretty common sight around my area of Manistee County. This one was on the edge of one of my food plots yesterday. View attachment 843540
I see them in May and June on my Manistee property. Last couple summer's I've seen them little blue tailed lizards.. I am a big man scared of snakes..lol

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Well, I think I have them sealed out of the house now at least. Peeled out the rest of the the panneling, and spray foamed every hole and crack I could find. Living in a house thats mostly just studs now until I can get all the drywall up...but my wife is strangely ok with it (for now) as long as the garter snake invasion stops, 🤞🤣. Total count so far, 9 from in the house, and 23 from the garage and yard near the house, that I’ve taken for a couple mile ride.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Well, I think I have them sealed out of the house now at least. Peeled out the rest of the the panneling, and spray foamed every hole and crack I could find. Living in a house thats mostly just studs now until I can get all the drywall up...but my wife is strangely ok with it (for now) as long as the garter snake invasion stops, 🤞🤣. Total count so far, 9 from in the house, and 23 from the garage and yard near the house, that I’ve taken for a couple mile ride.
You didn’t take them to the “train station”, did you? 🤣🤣

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
We had a garter cruise around and then crawl up into the siding of the house.
Our watering some areas probably part of the appeal.

Not noticing as many on the hunting property. But then , they don't need to sun themselves as much lately and can hunt more in the fallow areas.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Once upon a time in a land far (northern Florida) away I raised greyhounds on a farm that was close to a river. When we drilled fence post holes we hit water at about 6" deep. Don't punch through the sod with a truck tire, because there was nothing else between you and hell. Needless to say, this was snake country. We didn't transport anything anywhere. There was one ancient 12 ga. single shot for snake control.

Reactions: Glock1911

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
To didn’t take them to the “train station”, did you? 🤣🤣
Lol, nah. Just far enough that the hopefully wont find their way back. Wouldnt even mind them being around if they’d stay outside. Was more worried the wife was going to take me to the “train station”, if i didn’t get the situation figured out pretty quick, 🤣.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I learned something new about Garter Snakes in Michigan. According to DNR, there are three types of Garter Snakes in Michigan: Butler's Garter, Eastern Garter, and the Northern Ribbon Snake, which is a subspecies of the Garter Snake. The 3 Types of Garter Snakes in Michigan! (w/ pics)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
A buddy tells a story about when he was a teenager he found a garter snake winter den In the spring. He and a friend were pulling out garter snakes by the handful.
Doing habitat one spring I stumbled across a mating ball of garter snakes….had to be at least 30-50 (or more) of them all doing their orgy thing. (A ball a good 10” tall x 24”x24”. By the time I sprint to the truck for the phone and back for a pic, there were only maybe 20. While not a fan of snakes, was pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Those garter snakes seem to bite off more than they can chew pretty often, especially with toads. I’ve found quite a few over the years where both the snake and toad were dead. That one you had looks like a lose-lose for both if that snake doesn’t give up.
I went back a few minutes after putting them in the ditch and both of them were gone, so maybe the snake gave up on it and they both lived. The toad did seam way to big for this snake.

241 - 255 of 255 Posts