Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
201 - 220 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Thanks, Frank. I really don't mind having them around. Now, if they should somehow end up inside the house, relocation would be a must. My brother found a 5 footer coiled up on his living room floor one morning a few years back. I believe that one went to Snake Heaven.
If my wife found anything like that in the house, and assuming she did not have an immediate heart attack, the snake might go to heaven but she would send me straight to hell because it would somehow be my fault. FM

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 · (Edited)
Update - Found a couple more mating about 10 days ago...

Numbers 10 & 11 for the year...

Reptile Felidae Scaled reptile Wood Terrestrial animal

The classic "biting" we see during the mating ritual...
Snake Reptile Organism Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

Eye Organism Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Grass

We went on vacation for a week so not sure what we missed while we were gone but when we got home Thursday I saw one on the lawn near the cabin. I caught it and put it in the trash can for Elaine to take for a ride. As she was leaving with that one she saw another one by the Sugar Haus. I had already left to go check on my food plots so she decided she would try to catch it herself. Up until then she had only caught the juveniles by sucking them up in the shop vac. She donned her gloves and caught the second one and added him to the trash can...her first catch of an adult snake.
Numbers 12 and 13 for the year....
Automotive tire Scaled reptile Organism Reptile Snake

This is the the new spot where she has been taking them - about 3-4 miles away...
Wood Bedrock Grass Plant Groundcover

Yesterday I caught another small one making its way through the lawn... Number 14...
Organism Terrestrial plant Automotive tire Insect Terrestrial animal

And a little while later Elaine found this one by the barn... he was a little bigger snake and did a lot of rattling when I put him in the trash can.

Number 15 for the year
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Road surface Stairs

Automotive tire Plant Terrestrial plant Gas Natural material

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Frank, it's amazing how many snakes you have at your place. Sounds like Elaine is getting more comfortable dealing with them.
Yes, she is. I was actually surprised when she called me and told me she had caught it. I said - "Pics or it didn't happen", and she provided the photos to prove it. LOL

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Numbers 16 and 17 for the year showed up yesterday...

I don't know what made this guy think he could squeeze himself down through this little crack, but it didn't work. He got stuck and I had to pull like crazy to get him out of there. Last year I actually broke one in half that was stuck. This one eventually came out but I'm not sure he will make it.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Road surface Snake

Eye Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent

You can see his tail has a hard time curling up. The second one was trying to wedge himself under the sidewalk and he got stuck also, although it was easier to back him out.
Aqua Stairs Natural material Gas Pattern

·
Registered
860 Posts
A couple of those pine snakes are fat! I might be tempted to see how a big one grills up on the Weber. Sorry, no idea if that's legal.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
No time to take pictures of them, for obvious reasons, but I have now pulled 6 garter snakes out of the house so far this year as well!!! This place was used as a camp for about 10 years before we bought, so obviously wasn't maintained too well. They are slipping in where mice chewed through the exterior walls, and then squeezing between the paneling to get in. The rest of my summer has become removing panneling/sealing any breaches in the outer walls/drywalling. Was planning to do all of that anyways, but wanted to wait until winter. Its an odd sound when a snake drops out of your cieling just as you are falling asleep 🤣.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Might not want to remove all of them, I'm thinking they are there for multiple reasons, one being access to food. You wouldn't want to find yourself over run with rodents after you relocate them all.

Thats a lot of snakes for one place, must have been a nest.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Numbers 18, 19 and 20 showed up today. Saw number 18 on the sidewalk near the SW corner of the barn this afternoon. Went and retrieved my gloves and trash can and when I got closer I could see # 19 slithering along right next to the barn foundation so I caught him first. While I was after him I noted another smaller snake going in the opposite direction along the edge of the barn as well. He looks a lot like a garter snake but he has a bright green coloration as well so I think it is a Green Snake. I went back and caught number 18 and decided to add the green small (#20) to the mix as well. They all went for a ride together.

Road surface Wood Asphalt Bedrock Grass

Who says 3 is a crowd?
Spiral Natural material Circle Terrestrial plant Pattern

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Numbers 18, 19 and 20 showed up today. Saw number 18 on the sidewalk near the SW corner of the barn this afternoon. Went and retrieved my gloves and trash can and when I got closer I could see # 19 slithering along right next to the barn foundation so I caught him first. While I was after him I noted another smaller snake going in the opposite direction along the edge of the barn as well. He looks a lot like a garter snake but he has a bright green coloration as well so I think it is a Green Snake. I went back and caught number 18 and decided to add the green small (#20) to the mix as well. They all went for a ride together.

View attachment 841053

Who says 3 is a crowd?
View attachment 841054
Looks just like the ones we have been dealing with here. They are garters, some are greenish, some are yellowish. Green snakes are pure bright green with no stripes.
Snake Smooth Greensnake Reptile Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

201 - 220 of 255 Posts