Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
181 - 200 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Frank
That loin is making my mouth water. Man I thought for sure after last year you got that snake problem under control Are they under the barn floor again?
Oh Man Kevin! That meat was super tender and just melted in your mouth. More pics of it on the Venison Thread. VENISON THREAD!

No - I blocked off the entrances to the 2 holes where they were getting under the barn concrete last year so they can not get back in there. They are showing up in those same 2 locations though which leads me to believe that maybe they were born there or somehow have imprinted on those locations from previous years.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I thought snakes shed a couple times a year but a fast google search says 3 to 6 times a year.

You have to have some duplicates, you have to. Nine already this year and how many were relocated last year? With each and every one of them appearing in the immediate vicinity of Casa del Solitario Roble, how many serpents per acre would that be? Another statistic that some might find interesting would be, using your best guestimate, how much total footage of slithering beast has been relocated to date?

What on earth have you done in the last couple years to attract that much beady-eyed, forked-tongued, attention🐍? Are you applying or storing a new chemical around the structures that is acting like sort of snake hormone? If so, there is no telling how far they might be willing to travel and return for some (more) nooky! FM
That whole barn probably reeks of natural snake hormones from the last couple years, lol. The more that show up, the more the scent draws in 😂.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Could be JMDH. There were only 2 locations where they were getting under the concrete in the south corners of the barn. They have both been blocked off for nearly a year now but that is exactly where we have been finding the buggers this year as well - just kinda lounging around the area like those in the photo above. One was just on the lawn but still - nearby the one corner.

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
Could be JMDH. There were only 2 locations where they were getting under the concrete in the south corners of the barn. They have both been blocked off for nearly a year now but that is exactly where we have been finding the buggers this year as well - just kinda lounging around the area like those in the photo above. One was just on the lawn but still - nearby the one corner.
Kinda like spawning fish. Trying to come back up the same stream.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sounds to me, only possible solution is to burn the barn down! 🤣🤣

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
You might try a bit of chlorine bleach. It would probably kill the smell they are coming to.
You never know ML - it could work.

Wouldn't be any less effective than this stuff I tried last year - didn't repel anything.

A couple of the snakes I caught were actually laying in this stuff when I caught them.
Automotive tire Gas Font Asphalt Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
22,770 Posts
Structure. A dime sized hole under some is a good start. Mice , voles ect. pave the way. And offer prey.

A place to sun. A place to cool. Masonry , cement , stone/rocks thermal mass holds heat well into the night at times.
Being cold blooded, such options don't escape notice when encountered.

Water or at least moisture = prey. Even little sized prey if need be. Slugs ect..
Should be moisture near the structure your snakes are using. A short visit away.

Put my stand wood base /floor on top of the platform built last year.
No more sunning snakes on it like prior years. (I don't mind them being around , I'm not there much).
No snakes sighted the other day mowing for hours. But stuff was tall too and watching for fawns (none encountered) meant not watching to the sides for snakes on the run.

Did play don't run over the leopard frogs a couple times. So there's still bigger daytime prey for snakes.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Still no pine snakes here, but the garter snakes are still going strong, saw 4 today around the edges of the garage. Its built on 6x8 skids, so lots of open space under there. Who knows what kind of lewd behavior they are partaking in down there. As long as they stay outside the garage, I’ll leave them alone. Once I find them inside, they get moved down the road a couple miles.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Couple of todays trouble makers that couldn’t obey the rules of staying outside. This makes 13 so far I’ve had to relocate. Funny side note, I changed out a bathroom light today, and found a shed snake skin in the top housing of it! So now I’m just waiting for that scream from my wife thats inevitaby coming when the first one finds its way into the house 🤣.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Motor vehicle Fender

Wood Automotive tire Aluminium foil Foil Tints and shades

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks, Frank. I really don't mind having them around. Now, if they should somehow end up inside the house, relocation would be a must. My brother found a 5 footer coiled up on his living room floor one morning a few years back. I believe that one went to Snake Heaven.

181 - 200 of 255 Posts