Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,950 Posts
I don't think it was a snake - a rabbit more likely, but Elaine set some her plants (cabbage/lettuce I think) out to harden off yesterday. She had started them 5-6 weeks ago under the grow lights inside. Came back by a couple hours later and found that somebody had eaten almost the entire plant/s. Haven't seen her that pissed in quite some time!

View attachment 831898

View attachment 831899

You wouldn't want to be a rabbit around here any time soon because they are definitely on her hit list. She whacked a porky a few days ago that was hugging one of our nice Sugar Maples. Porkies aren't welcome in our sugar bush either.
Spring in the North woods!

Get that gal going on coyote control...
We know she can shoot straight.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
21,950 Posts
Yes - I was thinking we should get out and try to thin out the coyotes a little since fawns will be dropping soon.
I should too.

I've called doe in with a fawn distress call.
Man is that loud!
Should have great range to get a yote to perk thier ears.
And this is probably the best time of year to imitate a fawn.
If I came up with a decoy that would help.
White piece of rag on a limber sapling and some fishline maybe... My luck I'd trip a doe or get the line broken by one.

Might even get a bear to show up at your place.
If you call in a snake though , I didn't have anything to do with the idea!

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
21,950 Posts
Structure. A dime sized hole under some is a good start. Mice , voles ect. pave the way. And offer prey.

A place to sun. A place to cool. Masonry , cement , stone/rocks thermal mass holds heat well into the night at times.
Being cold blooded, such options don't escape notice when encountered.

Water or at least moisture = prey. Even little sized prey if need be. Slugs ect..
Should be moisture near the structure your snakes are using. A short visit away.

Put my stand wood base /floor on top of the platform built last year.
No more sunning snakes on it like prior years. (I don't mind them being around , I'm not there much).
No snakes sighted the other day mowing for hours. But stuff was tall too and watching for fawns (none encountered) meant not watching to the sides for snakes on the run.

Did play don't run over the leopard frogs a couple times. So there's still bigger daytime prey for snakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts