Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Haven't seen a pine snake here yet, but I think we have the same thing going on with garter snakes in our garage right now. They are everywhere! Took 6 of them to the back of the property today, after the wife sent me on a snake hunt when one dropped down off the garage door and brushed against her on the way down 馃ぃ.

Registered
LOL - I'll bet she just loved that!

I understand that @mike hartges is beginning to see some Pine Snakes at his new place in Menonminee County. They really don't appear to be endangered or even "threatened" in our area of the U.P. for sure. Still, they are protected by law so we just have to deal with taking them for a ride when they become a nuisance.
She wasn鈥檛 thrilled about it, thats for sure! Snakes don't bother me, and normally she doesnt mind them either. But apparently when they start dive bombing her at the garage entrance thats where she draws the line, 馃ぃ. I鈥檇 love to see a pine snake up close, just not in the capacity you have there, lol.

Registered
I thought snakes shed a couple times a year but a fast google search says 3 to 6 times a year.

You have to have some duplicates, you have to. Nine already this year and how many were relocated last year? With each and every one of them appearing in the immediate vicinity of Casa del Solitario Roble, how many serpents per acre would that be? Another statistic that some might find interesting would be, using your best guestimate, how much total footage of slithering beast has been relocated to date?

What on earth have you done in the last couple years to attract that much beady-eyed, forked-tongued, attention馃悕? Are you applying or storing a new chemical around the structures that is acting like sort of snake hormone? If so, there is no telling how far they might be willing to travel and return for some (more) nooky! FM
That whole barn probably reeks of natural snake hormones from the last couple years, lol. The more that show up, the more the scent draws in 馃槀.

Registered
Still no pine snakes here, but the garter snakes are still going strong, saw 4 today around the edges of the garage. Its built on 6x8 skids, so lots of open space under there. Who knows what kind of lewd behavior they are partaking in down there. As long as they stay outside the garage, I鈥檒l leave them alone. Once I find them inside, they get moved down the road a couple miles.

Registered
Couple of todays trouble makers that couldn鈥檛 obey the rules of staying outside. This makes 13 so far I鈥檝e had to relocate. Funny side note, I changed out a bathroom light today, and found a shed snake skin in the top housing of it! So now I鈥檓 just waiting for that scream from my wife thats inevitaby coming when the first one finds its way into the house 馃ぃ.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Motor vehicle Fender

Wood Automotive tire Aluminium foil Foil Tints and shades

Registered
No time to take pictures of them, for obvious reasons, but I have now pulled 6 garter snakes out of the house so far this year as well!!! This place was used as a camp for about 10 years before we bought, so obviously wasn't maintained too well. They are slipping in where mice chewed through the exterior walls, and then squeezing between the paneling to get in. The rest of my summer has become removing panneling/sealing any breaches in the outer walls/drywalling. Was planning to do all of that anyways, but wanted to wait until winter. Its an odd sound when a snake drops out of your cieling just as you are falling asleep 馃ぃ.

Registered
Numbers 18, 19 and 20 showed up today. Saw number 18 on the sidewalk near the SW corner of the barn this afternoon. Went and retrieved my gloves and trash can and when I got closer I could see # 19 slithering along right next to the barn foundation so I caught him first. While I was after him I noted another smaller snake going in the opposite direction along the edge of the barn as well. He looks a lot like a garter snake but he has a bright green coloration as well so I think it is a Green Snake. I went back and caught number 18 and decided to add the green small (#20) to the mix as well. They all went for a ride together.

View attachment 841053

Who says 3 is a crowd?
View attachment 841054
Looks just like the ones we have been dealing with here. They are garters, some are greenish, some are yellowish. Green snakes are pure bright green with no stripes.
Snake Smooth Greensnake Reptile Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

Registered
OK - Thanks JMDH. I've never seen anything that looks that green before so this one must just be a greenish colored Garter. Learn something new every day....
I鈥檝e never seen one either, just looked it up. But I have gotten to know garter snakes real well lately in all of their color variations, lol. The chickens caught a red bellied snake and ate it yesterday. Kind of hated to see that cool little guy go, but hopefully they got a taste for it, and will turn to the bigger garters now! 馃ぃ.

Registered
We have tons of Garters down here. They run from pale tan, greenish and once in a while, blueish. That said, yours may be a ribbon snake. They are very similar.
I thought that too about the greener ones, but there arent supposed to be any ribbon snakes in the UP when I looked them up. Then again they also say the pine snakes Wildthing is overrun with, are endangered, so who really knows I guess...

Registered
Those blue racers are cool. I have seen 2 that I can remember down in Jackson. Although I was too young at the time to remember it, my dad has pictures of one that was 5鈥8鈥 long, that would let him pick it up and hold it. There was a bad rat infestation in some old junk heaps and wood piles when he bought our house and property. Him snd his lab would go out, and he would flush them out, the lab would grab and kill them, and the snake would follow behind and eat them! Would never believe it if I hadn't seen the pictures.

Registered
Well, I think I have them sealed out of the house now at least. Peeled out the rest of the the panneling, and spray foamed every hole and crack I could find. Living in a house thats mostly just studs now until I can get all the drywall up...but my wife is strangely ok with it (for now) as long as the garter snake invasion stops, 馃馃ぃ. Total count so far, 9 from in the house, and 23 from the garage and yard near the house, that I鈥檝e taken for a couple mile ride.

Registered
To didn鈥檛 take them to the 鈥渢rain station鈥, did you? 馃ぃ馃ぃ
Lol, nah. Just far enough that the hopefully wont find their way back. Wouldnt even mind them being around if they鈥檇 stay outside. Was more worried the wife was going to take me to the 鈥渢rain station鈥, if i didn鈥檛 get the situation figured out pretty quick, 馃ぃ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts