Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
"According to the Audubon society the turkeys are doing a number on the snake population in Michigan."

No kidding?
I hadn't heard that before.
Do you have an article or a link on it.....I'd love to read more about that phenomena. It certainly sounds plausible.

………………….……………………………………………….

Speaking of 'Audubon' insights, I read (please don't ask for a link, I can't remember when or where)….but I read that with the demise of the ash tree due to emerald ash borer, well, it has spurred a population boom in woodpeckers. Counts are coming in higher than in memory.

"In nature's infinite book of secrecy...…"

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
I hafta admit it …..blue racers startle me whenever I suddenly see 'em up close.

When I see any other snake I'm more curious than startled, but racers give me pause. They always seem formidable.....as if I'm the one trespassing on his land and he's somewhat PO'd about it.

It may just be my imagination.

BTW, Cakbker -----a live 6ft blue racer would give me a whole lot of pause.

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
Those pine-snake pics show a pretty animal.
Thanx for sharing.
-------------------------------------------------

I wanna go back up in the thread ---about those posters who moved a turtle out of the highway.

So lemme tell this story:

Driving through Lowell, Michigan, a couple of years ago on M-21 as it crossed the Flat River in downtown Lowell.

An oncoming pick-up suddenly stopped in the road and the driver emerged. There were a couple of cars ahead of me so I couldn't see what was going on ahead. But shortly that truck driver showed up on the side of M-21 with a rather large turtle in his hand and he walked it over to the downslope leading to the river. He walked backed to his truck......and got a chorus of honks and thumbs-up from a half-dozen or more drivers.

A nice moment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts