Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had mentioned seeing a Fox Snake near the barn on another thread and Stickbow and Jr were disappointed that I didn't post a photo of it. Well, I saw 2 of them yesterday and did take some pics. These snakes (also called Pine Snakes up here) are fairly common. We have seen many of them that are 5 feet in length. Although they do look somewhat like the Missasauga Rattler they are actually non-venomous and quite harmless. My wife doesn't like the idea of having them around the barn and her garden but they do eat a lot of voles (my apple tree nemesis) and ticks so they are OK in my book:

In reading this link below, I see that Michigan is home to both the Western Fox Snake and the Eastern Fox Snake:

Fox Snake - Snake Facts

I saw this small female working her way along the edge of the barn. When I approached it to get a photo it turned around and went the other way:

IMG_2442.jpg

When I came back a few minutes later I saw that it had hooked up with a larger male at the corner of the lean-to:

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

They appeared to be mating:

IMG_2447.jpg

When I returned a few minutes later they had both disappeared but then I noticed that the larger one which had apparently climbed up the corner post inside of the steel, was working his way down under the concrete. I don't want to trap them in there now but I will be filling in this hole come fall:

IMG_2450.jpg

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people are terrified of snakes as you say Stickbow. Unfortunately, their fear of them results in a lot of snakes being killed (illegally) here in Michigan. They also get a bad rap because they will eat bird eggs (and birds if they can get them) so a lot of grouse and turkey hunters are not so fond of them. For me, the snakes fondness of rodents and ticks outweighs the loss of game birds. Everybody has to eat, I guess.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Total agree Wildthing, I have seen people go out of there way while driving to run them over. Everything has its place in this World. I swear my son is going to have a heart attack one of these days because of snakes.
I have seen a lot of road killed snakes and often wonder how "accidental" they actually were. Same thing with turtles this time of year. They are migrating and are often seen crossing roads. I really hate to see a 20-25 year old turtle lying dead in the road. I can't tell you how many times my wife has stopped along the road to "rescue" turtles. She usually just "helps" them get across the road but she has been known to bring a box or painted turtle home and release them near our pond.

Very much agree Stickbow - Everything has its place...

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
I have seen a lot of road killed snakes and often wonder how "accidental" they actually were. Same thing with turtles this time of year. They are migrating and are often seen crossing roads. I really hate to see a 20-25 year old turtle lying dead in the road. I can't tell you how many times my wife has stopped along the road to "rescue" turtles. She usually just "helps" them get across the road but she has been known to bring a box or painted turtle home and release them near our pond.

My wife does the same thing lol, hell who am I kidding. Been known to do it myself.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
That is very cool. I have never heard of a snake eating ticks. Is that just because the ticks are on the voles? My wife has a bad snake phobia (even stranger, frogs too). Once the garden gets going, she usually won't venture out there much. We're talking Garter snakes and an occasional Brown snake which are about the size of a pencil. I don't know what she would do if she ever saw a blue racer lol. I'm just the opposite. When I was a kid I would spend days looking for them. I used to lay plywood out in grassy areas and check under them every morning. Worked like charm on garters and an occasional milk snake. Drove my parents insane LOL.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
When I was 10 years old, 4 teens held me down and put a Garter snake inside my shirt which proceeded to bite the daylights out of me. My older brother heard my screaming and beat the crap out of all four of them. Ever since, I have had a phobia about snakes and for the longest time I couldn't even watch them on tv. Had to leave the room. They simply terrified me. I've progressed to where I can now look at them on tv or in pictures such as yours but if I see one in the wild, I usually freak.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: Scout 2 and FREEPOP

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts

Ha ha ha... This sounds like me. I have been a reptile lover since an early age. As kids we would search the creeks for turtles, snakes etc.
Doesn't matter where I am going or how quickly I need to get there, I ALWAYS stop and move turtles from there road. There have been A LOT lately. I have never seen a box turtle in the wild. Would love to see one.

Here is a snapper I saved the other day. If you pick them up from the back corner of the shell they cant get ya with their jaws or their rear claws. DO NOT pick them up by the tail. If you do, it may cause internal damage leading to death.
Snapper.jpg

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That is the first picture I have seen of a Pine Snake. I have heard that they love to hang out in the rafters of outhouses and tickle your neck as you settling in there to relax! The thought of it just sends chills up my neck and puckers things up!
I do appreciate the photo so that I can properly identify one

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is the first picture I have seen of a Pine Snake. I have heard that they love to hang out in the rafters of outhouses and tickle your neck as you settling in there to relax! The thought of it just sends chills up my neck and puckers things up!
I do appreciate the photo so that I can properly identify one
Probably doesn't take long to take care of business when that happens. :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts