Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad sent me this pic today of a snake he found on his property ...neither of us is sure what it is
Resized_20191026_130456_291005432520665.jpeg

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought also hognose ......my dad was saying Michigan rattler ...I was definitely not in agreement with his guess

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
We always torment hognose snake’s to get them to display their very unique defensive measures.

First, they puff up and flatten their head and hiss at you, kind of a like a faux cobra.

Then, when that doesn’t work, they sort of rollover and play dead but they’ll keep their head so that they can kind of look at you with one eye. And a dog can carry them or you can roll them around with a stick, returning to a belly up position each time, and they will pretend they’re dead for a good long time.

But then if you back away from them,They’ll lay there for a minute or two, and then slither on their merry way.

They are a beneficial snake, so leave them alone after observation.

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
They're definitely good snakes. They're prolific in the south and we'd use them for teaching kids about snakes. They're basically harmess and easy to handle it you keep in mind they'll bite you like most snakes if you piss them off.

We also used them for snake breaking quail and deer dogs. Shoot a rattler, skin him out and chop it up in a blender then rub the hognose in it for a scent treatment. It's safe for the dogs and it used to work great. I wonder if that trick is used still today?

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Usually when I find one there is always another not far away. I had some wood chips here a couple years ago and in the fall when I went to move them the pile had several of these in it. Just staying warm

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
Yep, Eastern Hognose. Like stated, a very beneficial snake to have around. They can also give off a fowl odor as part of their defense.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
What is their typical habitat, i. e. how wet do they like it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts