Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys eat on or in stands for firearm...

I don't come out during daylight hours for at least the first 3 days. Unless I have a deer down and only long enough to hang it.

I take in some pop, water, nutty bars and pringle chips... pringles so no bag to rattle around.

I made a shelf for a propane grill. On cold mornings I can toast my poptarts. Then Ill grill italian sausages. Onions and green pepper and toast the buns. I can also heat up soup make tea and coffee...

20181213_084358.jpg

20181115_123410.jpg

What do you eat?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
What do you guys eat on or in stands for firearm...

I don't come out during daylight hours for at least the first 3 days. Unless I have a deer down and only long enough to hang it.

I take in some pop, water, nutty bars and pringle chips... pringles so no bag to rattle around.

I made a shelf for a propane grill. On cold mornings I can toast my poptarts. Then Ill grill italian sausages. Onions and green pepper and toast the buns. I can also heat up soup make tea and coffee...

View attachment 455543

View attachment 455545

What do you eat?
Can I come sit with you? Do you leave the beer out in the snow to stay cold? All your missing is a satellite dish to watch football.
Do you ever have deer come out while you have the smell of cooking food on the grill?
The only think I ever take to the blind to eat is granola bars and pb&j sandwiches. I would love to have coffee to warm up but I’m a scent control freak and coffee has a very strong odor. So that’s out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

I have shot quite a few large bucks while cooking or eating. My main lunch is grilled venision sausages. Green pepper, onions in a bit of butter wraped in alum foil to carynin and then.opened to saute. Open the buns and toast.

A hot lunch on stand is awesome in taste and how ya feel afterward. Its funny grill smoke pouring out the side windows and the deer dont care. I cant see beyound 100 yards.

I'm never on stand gun or bow without coffee. Beer nope rare I have one and never while hunting

The buck I shot in the messing with dad thread I was drinking coffee...

I started cooking in my blind 22 years ago and have not missed a hot lunch since in it.

I don't brew the coffee in the blind but will heat it up on the stove side.

Hot dogs. Sausage, hamburges, and soup are my standard lunches. Poptarts many a cold mornings

Ps dont watch football either. Lol

·
Premium Member
11,164 Posts
Can I come sit with you? Do you leave the beer out in the snow to stay cold? All your missing is a satellite dish to watch football.
Do you ever have deer come out while you have the smell of cooking food on the grill?
The only think I ever take to the blind to eat is granola bars and pb&j sandwiches. I would love to have coffee to warm up but I’m a scent control freak and coffee has a very strong odor. So that’s out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You show me how to kayak for booners and I'll show ya how to grill while hunting. Lol

We can make this happen!

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
11,164 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always take pickled bologna, cheese and crackers for a snack along with pringles. Some waters and a pop for energy in the afternoon. Lunch I usually take a bowl of bean soup and bread I warm up on the heater.

I am like you for the first few days. Dark to Dark sits and only step out of the blind to take a leak. I will leave my deer lay until after dark if I do shoot one.

·
Super Moderator
35,035 Posts
I always take pickled bologna, cheese and crackers for a snack along with pringles. Some waters and a pop for energy in the afternoon. Lunch I usually take a bowl of bean soup and bread I warm up on the heater.

I am like you for the first few days. Dark to Dark sits and only step out of the blind to take a leak. I will leave my deer lay until after dark if I do shoot one.
You reminded me I need to get my annual pickled red hots.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I definitely don't grill in my stand. Typically for me on a full day sit I usually go pretty light. 2 hardboiled eggs and a banana for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a bottle of water. When my dad hunted he took his portable weber grill with him and would make burgers and brats. People would congregate at noon to eat lunch. I would be on the other side of the property shooting the deer they kicked to me. He would take a nap after lunch and usually wake up and shoot a good buck. His last year of hunting in 2009 he woke up at right before legal shooting light ended to our #1 buck looking thru his blind window. He got deer hair on his left over burgers when he shot it. Now that he is done hunting I wish I would have went to have lunch with him.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Its funny how it takes time to know what is really important. Thank you for your post.
I'd call my dad mid morning from the blind with a report. He didnt hunt the last 13 years on this planet but loved hearing about what I was seeing or sometimes shooting. I think about him a lot when I'm hunting, he is the reason I'm a hunter.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Heck yeah! We don't actually "cook" much in the blinds but we can warm up pretty much anything. I like to wrap whatever it is in tin foil and turn it over a few times to warm it well....quiche (yes, I know that "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" and I didn't either til I actually tried it :)), breakfast burritos, pulled venison sandwiches, etc. I like the old style metal (tin) cups for heating up coffee.

I don't worry about the odor either. Most of our permanent blinds are set up for shots at deer that are 75-100 yards distant and typically upwind from the blinds.

IMG_0767.jpg

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
Really debating bringing my 17 inch Blackstone to blind 22 28 be cramped. Hmmm what to do. I don't eat breakfast but may do a huge spread send buddies piss them off hmmmm

Reactions: caj33

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Great thread Skinner, love all the awesome blinds and great food.

John,

Beer nope rare I have one

Ps dont watch football either. Lol
Also its a great example how two people (you and I) can have totally different fundamental beliefs and still get along just fine :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I use my Nuway Propane Stove I put a metal bowl with either some kind of soup (chicken noodle, double noodle or olde style traditional chicken noodle), Chef Boyardee® Mini Ravioli, Bush Baked Beans, Does not take long to have a warm meal, also some club crackers, some fuji apples, pieces of watermelon and some sandwiches w/ some thick sliced turkey or chicken slices with some honey mustard and maybe some sweet relish again heating up the slices in the metal bowl can make a difference when you are watching waiting on your buck to show up. Just like eating something good makes it nice spending the time and have a word search book, a good buck to read and a radio to check on the weather forecast maybe some music... but I have it better than most as i stay in my box blind and rarely come out but maybe to switch propane tanks when one tank runs out... Makes the time pass a little better not falling asleep and watching waiting... Looks like to be a Cold Few Days coming Up...for the Opener!
Newaygo1

1 - 20 of 54 Posts