Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what your favorite methods of smoking steelhead are?

My Grandpa gave me a smoker last year and have really enjoyed the taste of everything I smoked with it so far.

Do all of you always "brine" your fish before smoking or do some of you like to just use a dry rub on it prior to smoking it?

Have any favorite recipes you would be willing to share?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I use a dry brine. Much easier and faster than a wet brine.

Dark brown sugar
Salt
Garlic

Mix and spread over fillet pieces (with skin still on). Let it juice up for 8 hours or so.

Rinse & let dry.

Smoke.

Its fantastic, and EASY!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, thank you for the information man, really appreciate it and will definitely be giving that recipe a shot.

I found the following recipe online a while back and smoked a Turkey using it, turned out really well, thought of trying it with fish as well.

•1/4 cup olive oil
•1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
•1 tablespoon white wine
•1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
•4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
•4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
•4 teaspoons onion, minced
•4 teaspoons garlic, minced
•2 teaspoons salt

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Sounds good, thank you for the information man, really appreciate it and will definitely be giving that recipe a shot.

I found the following recipe online a while back and smoked a Turkey using it, turned out really well, thought of trying it with fish as well.

•1/4 cup olive oil
•1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
•1 tablespoon white wine
•1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
•4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
•4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
•4 teaspoons onion, minced
•4 teaspoons garlic, minced
•2 teaspoons salt
Lose the oil, you will need to add more salt, and I like something sweet as well. Most brines start with an amount of water and the key to not oversalting is keeping a correct ratio between the salt and water.

You can use a saltier brine, just brine for a shorter period of time, and make sure you rinse well after brining. Brining is simply drawing the moisture out of the meat and salt / sugar does this.

I take my fillets and splash with some worcestershire sauce, cover liberally with salt, then pack brown sugar around it and place the fillets in a ziploc bag overnight, or longer for skin on, or thick steak cut pieces. even with the dry ingredients it will be a liquid when you are done. Rinse well and then let dry on a rack until you get a nice tacky shiny finish before throwing on the smoker.

I like alder wood to smoke with.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Crushed red pepper is nice too.

Dry them until they are nice and shiny.

Load them up.

and smoke away with some alder chips

Good eating after 4 hours in the chief.

You can coat them with honey or maple syrup glaze near the end for a browner texture. These were left alone.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks good!

Never thought about the Honey idea, may have to try it!

Thanks again man, will post pics of the finished product!

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
I love my little chief. I only use it for fish and on my 4th season. I put a cardboard box over it to insulate during colder months and can use it year round. I brine well and put it in the smoker to dry it out to my liking. If I have thick cuts I usually finish cooking in the oven to speed things up if it goes past 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a "smoking jacket" for my old smoker. Kept temps up nice and almost too hot sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at the results.YUM YUM .Looks like it does just fine......
I love my little chief. I only use it for fish and on my 4th season. I put a cardboard box over it to insulate during colder months and can use it year round. I brine well and put it in the smoker to dry it out to my liking. If I have thick cuts I usually finish cooking in the oven to speed things up if it goes past 3-4 hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts