Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Glad you brought this up. I'm looking at a couple models of electrics and I want to get some opinions on those and some comments about cold smoking using electric.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
This is a loaded question. So many variables come into play. Imo a clean running stick burner makes the best food, but quality one's are pricey.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I've had charcoal and propane. I would never go back to charcoal for precise smoking temps. I use a propane one now and have for 10years. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1434454886.261393.jpg
This is the one I have now. About $180 at bass pro. Nothing special but it works flawlessly for my smoking needs. The two door design is nice for retaining heat and smoke when stoking it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I know!!! I just don't have the time to attentively tend a charcoal/wood or gas smoker and having the thermostat on the electrics puts those at the top of my list. I've got it narrowed down to a masterbuilt or a bradley and I think they make attachments for those for cold smoking.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I've had charcoal and propane. I would never go back to charcoal for precise smoking temps. I use a propane one now and have for 10years.
What did you have? On my cheap akorn Kamado I get bored it just chugs all day within a few degrees on my maverick 732 even as low as - 10 outside. I know folks who claim the same on WSMs. Now cheap brinkmann bullets yes I agree.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
What did you have? On my cheap akorn Kamado I get bored it just chugs all day within a few degrees on my maverick 732 even as low as - 10 outside. I know folks who claim the same on WSMs. Now cheap brinkmann bullets yes I agree.

I had a brinkman. Lol.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
I have a small masterbuilt gas smoker. I don't have any experience with any other. All I can do is offer my experience with gas. IMO, an electric would work way better for me as I think temp control would be more precise. I've had issues controlling temps for two reasons.
1. The chips would flash all at once and skyrocket temp. I've learned to control this by wrapping them in tin foil or wrapping the chip pan so it doesn't warp and give the chip too much oxygen. A model with a heavier built pan may not have this issue.

2. One thing I can't control is wind. Changes in the breeze fluctuate temps like crazy and when I'm cooking with very low temps, wind snuffs out the flame.. I can block some wind by using panels around the bottom. So far all I have used is wood and cardboard but it creates a potential fire hazard, so I'm afraid to let it out of eyesight for long. A more permanent set of metal panels may cure most of this, but I'm not certain is temps would get too high for tank to burner gas line. Again, maybe a higher end model has these features built in.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've had charcoal and propane. I would never go back to charcoal for precise smoking temps. I use a propane one now and have for 10years. View attachment 80074
This is the one I have now. About $180 at bass pro. Nothing special but it works flawlessly for my smoking needs. The two door design is nice for retaining heat and smoke when stoking it up.

I've had Electric, Charcoal and this Propane model. I love it. Also comes in 30' wide model!
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1434497513.402000.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1434497531.338635.jpg ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1434497548.822192.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an electric Bradley smoker that uses those little wood hockey pucks.
It works great, would give a solid recommendation.

Had a charcoal smoker for years and never knew what a pain in the butt it was tending fire, temp going up and down, etc. till I got the Bradley electric one.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
That's the main reason I'm leaning to electric. I'm not looking to go on any BBQ cooking completion circuit, just want to be able to cook up some ribs, and such but also have the ability to dial it down to cold smoke for jerky and cheeses.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Built this one in the backyard two years ago. Yes, it's more involved than the average smoker, but once she gets going it's very easy to maintain temps and the results are superior. Cooks with standard oak firewood or any wood of your choosing. If you're sicking around your place for a few years, I'd highly recommend a permanent one. JMO...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Boon, I'm going to say this in the nicest way I can... You suck and I want you as a neighbor, I'll bring the beer!

That's awesome!

Reactions: Bud man

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks Craig.....I get that all the time. lol If you're bringin' the suds, I'll sit there all day and cook up some good ol' barbecue to go with. Got the whole concept from a few trips I took down to Texas - figured if I can even come close to that I could die a happy man - and I believe I will! Btw, I've pulled some kielbasa out of there that would make you think you were in the old country!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow boondog that is a sweet set up. I have a ton of bricks I have thought about trying to build something out of, but I am pretty dumb when it comes to stuff like that...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Thanks Craig.....I get that all the time. lol If you're bringin' the suds, I'll sit there all day and cook up some good ol' barbecue to go with. Got the whole concept from a few trips I took down to Texas - figured if I can even come close to that I could die a happy man - and I believe I will! Btw, I've pulled some kielbasa out of there that would make you think you were in the old country!
I'm a Pollock and I make my own kielbasa, you trying to throw down with me? If you are, you're going to have to smoke mine so we can compare😀

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Do any of you guys cold smoke? I want to make something like Scottish smoked salmon. I understand it is cold smoked.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts