Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Congratulations, great deer glad her preparation paid off..

Gotta ask, what is Smithville? Town? Last name thus your property name?
I grew up on the east and west Road on the north end of this section. The farmer who then owned updwards of 600 acres lived right next door. Dad and oldest brother started hunting the property in 1989 I was 10. In 1998 the farmer had a huge land auction and started splitting it up. Dad grabbed 120 acresish of the North South road on the east side of the section. Mostly muck ground that had four fields making up 50% and woods with swamp and rolling ridges making up other 50%. My oldest brother purchased 40 acres right next to dad in 2000. Dads best friend purchased a 40 on the other side of dad in that same time period. Dad owns 28 of that now I think had a divorce etc. In 2004 I bought directly across the road from mom and dad and my oldest brother. We quickly outgrew that house and in 2008 Grandma and Grandpa bought that from me and I moved two doors down on five acres on the opposite side of the road. So We had four family of Smith's living in about a 1/2 mile stretch of road and living in a super small town it was dubed "Smithville" which is our last name

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Congratulations, great deer glad her preparation paid off..

Gotta ask, what is Smithville? Town? Last name thus your property name?
To me it means the area around the Manistee river between Sharon & Coster rd.

I may be different for others.

Reactions: HUBBHUNTER

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Reactions: SMITTY1233

·
Premium Member
31,127 Posts
BINGO! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Beautiful Buck.. Congrats!

·
Registered
14,107 Posts
I grew up on the east and west Road on the north end of this section. The farmer who then owned updwards of 600 acres lived right next door. Dad and oldest brother started hunting the property in 1989 I was 10. In 1998 the farmer had a huge land auction and started splitting it up. Dad grabbed 120 acresish of the North South road on the east side of the section. Mostly muck ground that had four fields making up 50% and woods with swamp and rolling ridges making up other 50%. My oldest brother purchased 40 acres right next to dad in 2000. Dads best friend purchased a 40 on the other side of dad in that same time period. Dad owns 28 of that now I think had a divorce etc. In 2004 I bought directly across the road from mom and dad and my oldest brother. We quickly outgrew that house and in 2008 Grandma and Grandpa bought that from me and I moved two doors down on five acres on the opposite side of the road. So We had four family of Smith's living in about a 1/2 mile stretch of road and living in a super small town it was dubed "Smithville" which is our last name
Area in my neck of the woods called "volkman lane" same scenario.. can't beat that !

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Congrats, that muck ground sure sprouts great bucks.
Interestingly we immediately in 1998 started widening fence rows and making more cover. From there we started working on drainage and trail system cause you could hardly get equipment back there. From there we started plotting and hinging. Dad purchased another 40 in 2008ish? Used to be a local dog club that was fenced and they ran dogs year around. They kept the front 40 for that and the back 40 became the "Bog" one of our four sanctuaries. The 162" buck we called "Timer" my brother shot lived there as his primary bedding spot for two years. We picked up another 60 acres south of my brothers 40 about 5 years or more ago. Pretty lucky with what we have to hunt. Dad and brother put in extreme hours on land development and improvements. My brother shot a 140 class buck in 1993 on January 1st and that was the ignitor for the management program. There isn't anything in stone on what you can or can not shoot here. If it makes you happy fire away. The biggest accomplishment is getting some of the neighboring properties to buy in and we really saw the benefits of that in the last ten years. We shoot 4-6 3.5's or better a year with around 10-11 people hunting the property through out the year. The Muck ground is a blessing no doubt!

·
Premium Member
5,621 Posts
Great seeing all the hard work pay off. Congrats to your SIL on a dandy buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up I was with axiom on this.. I even googled Smithville Michigan and as he said..

I went to school with one of the smiths that own the canoe livery where he's talking and I'm thinking wow that area isn't known for good deer but full of bear..
To me it means the area around the Manistee river between Sharon & Coster rd.

I may be different for others.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thank you for clearing that up I was with axiom on this.. I even googled Smithville Michigan and as he said..

I went to school with one of the smiths that own the canoe livery where he's talking and I'm thinking wow that area isn't known for good deer but full of bear..
No problem.... I started the nickname maybe 5 or 6 years ago on this board. I also post the entire families story so it kind of wraps it in a neat bow if you will.... If you search that I'm sure all those posts will show up from then to now. I always do a Smithville year in review post at the seasons end as well. We are in Shiawassee county

21 - 36 of 36 Posts